Notecase Pro 4.7.3 crash at startup with MacOS Sonoma 14.0

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 6, 2023, 7:28:40 AM10/6/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro,

Notecase Pro actually refuses to start correctly with macOS Sonoma.
I deleted and re-installed the actual Notecase Pro Version, rebooted my Mac but the problem still exists.

After each try my .notecase folder lists a lock file and a crash log.

I use two fresh updated v14 Sonoma Macs (Mac Mini at work and a Macbook pro at home) and this problem came up only with an slightly older Mac Mini.

I don't know if it is a Mac version problem or something else...

best regards

Andre

notecasepro_crash_231006_131514.log

Miroslav Rajcic

Oct 6, 2023, 8:17:32 AM10/6/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Andre,

thanks for reporting and the crash data.
As I can see in the crash data, this is a GTK library problem, could be related to new macOS version.

I will try to rebuild latest version of GTK library stack for macOS and rebuild latest NoteCase code against that.
It may take me a day or two, depending on possible problems or other tasks.

Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Regards,
  Miro

Oct 7, 2023, 6:51:30 AM10/7/23
to Notecase Pro
Hm, that is strange - I have no problem on my 2019 new Macbook Pro running Sonoma.
I checked it twice at home....

The difference at home: there's no XQuartz X-Server running (which is always also updating when the OS was updated before).... Could this perhaps interfere ... ?

....let's try it: I just installed Xquartz for testing on my MacBook Pro - no problems.

I'm clueless....

Best regards
Andre

Miroslav Rajcic

Oct 7, 2023, 10:46:13 AM10/7/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Andre,

not sure if I understood correctly: did installing XQuartz server solve the problem on the problematic machine?

Can you also test the latest build I've mentioned:

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Saturday, October 7, 2023 12:51 PM
To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 9, 2023, 5:20:22 AM10/9/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro,

I thought XQuartz cound be the reason for this misbehavior, but no ...

I tried the provided build, but the startup problem remains.
The only difference: there's no crash log this time...

The information from the launchd-logfile doesn't give any hints (see appended screenshot).

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-09 um 11.16.20.png

But I don't know if it's a general problem or a problem just on my MiniMac - I don't have this problem with my MacBook (both running Sonoma 14.0).
I'll try do examine this further....

best regards
Andre

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 9, 2023, 5:29:00 AM10/9/23
to Notecase Pro

Hold it - i was wrong - there is a crash log....

but this time it logs a problem with my notecase key file...

hm...
notecasepro_crash_231009_105341.log

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 11, 2023, 9:19:49 AM10/11/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro,

I didn't get it -
I removed the ~/.notecase/ directory completely, checked the /Applications-Folder after each deinstallation,
but still no luck.

- each first run after a new installation quits without a crash log and a lock file.
- the following runs create crash logs and lock files.

The MacBook running Sonoma is not affected. Only the MiniMac.
Could be a local problem, but all other third-party apps still run fine after the update.

best regards
Andre

Miroslav Rajcic

Oct 11, 2023, 1:13:13 PM10/11/23
to Notecase Pro
Can you try opening terminal app and trying to open NCP from there.
Command should go something like: open NoteCasePro

Hopefully some useful error text will be written in the terminal when it fails.

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2023 3:19 PM

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 13, 2023, 3:26:34 AM10/13/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro,

I opened the NotecasePro-wrapper "notecase" directly from the directory
/Applications/NotecasePro.app/Contents/MacOS/

...and that's the output when the wrapper starts notecaser-bin (screenhot).

The entries in launchd.log are the same compared to the running version on the macbook.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-13 um 09.17.25.png

best regards
Andre

Miroslav Rajcic

Oct 15, 2023, 3:01:02 AM10/15/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Andre,

thanks, the terminal shows two issues, not sure if they are related.
I've tried to Google both issues, but no much luck.

Can you try to execute following in terminal on affected PC:
defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages

What is the result?
What about this:
defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages | sed -En   -e 's/\-/_/' -e 's/Hant/TW/' -e 's/Hans/CN/' -e 's/[[:space:]]*\"?([[:alnum:]_]+)\"?,?/\1/p'

It seems as if default language is not set, or this command to read it does not work in your case and reports error:
the domain/default pair of (.GlobalPreferences, AppleColationOrder) does not exist

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Friday, October 13, 2023 9:26 AM

Andre Ruppert

Oct 16, 2023, 10:42:38 AM10/16/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
Hello Miro,

it seems that the default language is set:

defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages
(
    "de-DE"
)

defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages | sed -En   -e 's/\-/_/' -e 's/Hant/TW/' -e 's/Hans/CN/' -e 's/[[:space:]]*\"?([[:alnum:]_]+)\"?,?/\1/p'
de_DE

( what a regular expression 😉 )

But obviously it is a problem on this specific MacMini.
Perhaps it is a collateral problem which came up because of my intense use of Homebrew on this machine.

I'll investigate the differences on both Macs on my own and tell here about my (hopefully) findings...

Best regards
Andre

Bill Mullikin

Oct 28, 2023, 10:59:41 AM10/28/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro and Andre
I too am having the exact same issue with in my case a MacMini and Sonoma 14.1 ( fresh update ).
The logs and screen shots provided by Andre track exactly except for the language being English.
So it doesn't seem to matter which default language is used on the computer the application doesn't seem to handle it properly ( at least according to the logs ).

Any help will be appreciated and of course I will be happy to help troubleshoot ....
Bill

basso...@googlemail.com

Oct 29, 2023, 10:24:28 AM10/29/23
to Notecase Pro
Oh, I thought I was the only person having this problem.
So it's no homebrew or Macports or similar issue.

(thinking for myself) Perhaps the problem depends on the upgrade path of tne MiniMac.

Do you remember what was the first OS version was initially installed on your MiniMac?
And did you ever upgrade to beta developer versions (like I did)?

Next week I'll try to use the Opencore Legacy Patcher to install a fresh non-updated Sonoma on an old 2014 MacMini - an then I will install notecasepro too to check if it's base OS upgrade path  dependend.

Stay tuned ;-)

Bill Mullikin

Oct 30, 2023, 10:43:50 AM10/30/23
to Notecase Pro
My Mac mini was purchased off of EBay and came with  Monterey on it which I took to be a fresh install, from there it was upgraded to Ventura and finally last week to Sonoma 14.1 via the standard updater. Notecase worked fine until this last update. Note here that I  did not upgrade to Sonoma 14.0 preferring to wait for 14.1 to be released in a vain attempt to avoid the dreaded dot zero release issues. All my other software still works after the upgrade except for Notecase.

Bill

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 4, 2023, 7:49:31 AM11/4/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Andre,

I've replaced MacMini with Macbook years ago.
I have no idea what was the 1st version installed on it, but in general I tend to update the OS rarely because that may impact the NCP builds for users who have older macOS.

Can you try the new official version 4.7.6 from the website?
I don't expect it will solve the issue (no gtk-osx changes since my last build I did for you), but who knows ...

Regards,
 Miro

Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2023 3:24 PM

To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>

basso...@googlemail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 10:40:08 AM11/6/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miro,

I was absent for some says because of (another) covid "hit".

Ich just tried to install V4.7.6 on both Sonoma Macs (MacBook + Mini) v14.0 , but on both systems it refuses to install with an error message of the installer (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller-error -1).

I will upgrade both to Sonoma 14.1 and try it again...

best regards

Andre

basso...@googlemail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 11:47:46 AM11/6/23
to Notecase Pro
Same with Mac OS Sonoma 14.1

best regards

Andre

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 6, 2023, 12:53:17 PM11/6/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
Do you need to enable option to allow installation of unsigned packages somewhere?

Sent: Monday, November 6, 2023 5:47:46 PM

To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 6, 2023, 1:00:11 PM11/6/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com

basso...@googlemail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 4:25:41 PM11/6/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro,

yes, like all versions before ... never had any problems installing notecasepro this way so far....

Older v4.7.3 doesn't have this problem.

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 7, 2023, 3:15:05 PM11/7/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone else had issues with this macOS installer? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, both positive and negative. Trying to understand if the file was corrupted...

Regards,
Miro
Sent: Monday, November 6, 2023 10:25:41 PM

To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>
Hello Miro,

yes, like all versions before ... never had any problems installing notecasepro this way so far....

Older v4.7.3 doesn't have this problem.

Bill Mullikin

Nov 8, 2023, 9:39:27 AM11/8/23
to Notecase Pro
Miro
the download would not install when first released but today it does?? Same download just two different days
However it still doesn't run ....
Here is the terminal output from my Mac mini running Sonoma 14.1

billm@KT7v-Mac-mini MacOS % ./notecase-bin --debug

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSMenu resync]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x60000319df00'

*** First throw call stack:

(

   0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff818de5fa6 __exceptionPreprocess + 242

   1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007ff8188db231 objc_exception_throw + 48

   2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff818e8b2a4 -[NSObject(NSObject) __retain_OA] + 0

   3   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff818d53893 ___forwarding___ + 1379

   4   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff818d532a8 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 120

   5   libgtkmacintegration-gtk3.4.dylib   0x000000010fdcdb93 gtkosx_application_sync_menubar + 51

   6   notecase-bin                        0x000000010f5d9e40 _Z13sync_menu_barv + 16

   7   notecase-bin                        0x000000010f3a3765 _ZN3MRU11RebuildMenuEv + 1205

   8   notecase-bin                        0x000000010f36ff82 _Z16RebuildAddOnMenuv + 930

   9   notecase-bin                        0x000000010f40492a _ZN10MainWindow15create_main_winEv + 10314

   10  notecase-bin                        0x000000010f401b58 _ZN10MainWindow6CreateEv + 1960

   11  notecase-bin                        0x000000010f5d62cf _ZN3App7StartupEiPPc + 12943

   12  notecase-bin                        0x000000010f5dab6b _ZN3App3RunEiPPc + 27

   13  notecase-bin                        0x000000010f2f7d72 main + 34

   14  dyld                                0x00007ff81890f3a6 start + 1942

)

libc++abi: terminating due to uncaught exception of type NSException

billm@KT7v-Mac-mini MacOS %

Hope this helps
Bill

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 8, 2023, 12:52:39 PM11/8/23
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Bill,
if you have time for a test, can you remove (backup first) your "/Users/<your user name>/.notcase/notecase_pro.ini" file and start the app again.
I am trying to see if any specific setting caused the crash on Sonoma.
There is a specific NCP setting for macOS:
[Custom]
OSXGlobalMenu=1

that forces app to use global mac menu, and I am not sure if that setting has influcence on your specific crash.

Regards,
  Miro

Nov 9, 2023, 8:25:58 AM11/9/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello Miro, only fyi:
the pkg-format of v4.7.6 differs from v4.7.3.

I tried to examine the pkg-list via pkgutil and wondered why I can't get it.

So I tried a little app  (https://www.mothersruin.com/software/SuspiciousPackage) to get the content of the .pkg.
No chance. The 4.7.6 .pkg format was not recognized at all.

regards
Andre

Bill Mullikin

Nov 9, 2023, 9:55:11 AM11/9/23
to Notecase Pro
still no joy however I did find the crash log files in that directory so I have attached the new ini file and that latest crash log

Hope this helps
Bill

notecase_pro.ini
notecasepro_crash_231109_060653.log

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 9, 2023, 10:10:05 AM11/9/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Andre,

I suspect the installer file might have been corrupted somehow, so I created a new one and uploaded it here:

Can you try if this one installs OK?

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 2:25 PM

To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 9, 2023, 11:25:59 AM11/9/23
to Notecase Pro
I got confirmation from another user (on macOS Ventura) that new installer now works OK, so I also replaced the official one.
Still appreciate more feedback on this.

Regards,
  Miro

Nov 12, 2023, 3:56:06 AM11/12/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Bill,

can you try the following build:

This is an experiment #1, trying to avoid the GTK function that causes the crash here.
If it fails, please share the crash log for this one too.

Regards,
  Miro

Nov 13, 2023, 8:00:45 AM11/13/23
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Andre,

that's a great news!
I might have yet another test build soon before being able to wrap up the issue.

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2023 11:11 AM

To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>

Bill Mullikin

Nov 13, 2023, 10:36:54 AM11/13/23
to Notecase Pro
Whoo Hoo That worked!
It came up with the found crash logs message so something isn't completely happy ???
I am going to go in and trash all those old crash logs just to clean up things.
But it seems to be working as I can create new notes and open my existing notes

Thanks very much
Bill

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 14, 2023, 11:18:24 AM11/14/23
to Notecase Pro
Thanks,

can you also try this build:

I would like to make sure that the macOS build works correctly on Sonoma regardless of if you use "Integrate with global menu" option or not (see that checkbox in "Tools > General settings", page "11 - Custom").
If you can prove no crashes happen with or without using "Integrate with global menu", I'll promote this build as an official one.

Regards,
Miro

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2023 4:36 PM

Bill Mullikin

Nov 15, 2023, 2:47:58 PM11/15/23
to Notecase Pro
Miro,

ok new test version works fine here on my Mac mini Sonoma 14.1 with the Integrate with global menu checked or unchecked.
you might want to be sure that you don't loose current file when you do the update ... caught me off guard when it came up blank ....

Thanks for all your help
Bill

Miroslav Rajcic

Nov 16, 2023, 7:15:12 AM11/16/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Bill,

thanks for testing, I've promoted this installer to the official one on the Download page.

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2023 8:47 PM

Andre Ruppert

Nov 17, 2023, 2:45:22 AM11/17/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
Hello Miro,

same here.

Works as expected without any crashes or startup problems.

Thank you very much.
Andre

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Notecase Pro" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/notecase-pro/DB9P251MB0032C697A06397384587FB7EB2B0A%40DB9P251MB0032.EURP251.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

--

Andre

Andre Ruppert