Question re Nc_Doc_SendViaEmail

info.sim...@googlemail.com

May 15, 2024, 5:28:19 PMMay 15
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miro,

using Nc_Doc_SendViaEmail seems to work different to the documentation. I used the sample script from the online hep

on a Windows;
- NoteCase Pro Vers. 4.7.3
- email client: MS Outlook

Result: new email created. eMail adresses and subject line filled correctly. In the mail body the content of the selected note will be imported. No file will be attached as documented. Tested .ncde and .html option

on a Linux (Ubuntu);
- NoteCase Pro Vers. 4.7.9
- email client: Thunderbird

Result: new email created. eMail adresses filled correctly. Subject line is in quotes e.g. 'test' instead of test as on Windows
The mail body remains empty and no file will be attached as documented. Tested .ncde and .html option on linux as well.

the export file has been created in the file system on either operating system.

Any chance to look into this?

Also is it possible to create an option to simply create a blank email with no subject and no body? I know one can use the lua command os.execute using the mailto: link (xdg-mail on linux) but it's not working as reliable as your implementation

best regards

Raimund

Miroslav Rajcic

May 17, 2024, 12:19:32 AMMay 17
to Notecase Pro
Hi Raimund,

unfortunately, Linux has much poorer API support to implement this feature:
  • on Windows it uses MAPI interface to add all required properties to a new email
  • on Linux the code fallbacks to opening "mailto:" link with email text data being passed with " &attachment='<TEMP_FILE_URI>' "
           It is likely that Thunderbird "mailto:" handler does not support this parameter, so the attachment was not added.

Not much I can do here, Linux just doesn't have the API to do something more powerful here.

I'll investigate the feature to open an empty email.
Would it be enough to just make "subject" and "to" parameters of Nc_Doc_SendViaEmail optional (so they can be empty)?

Regards,
  Miro

May 21, 2024, 1:34:54 AMMay 21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miro,

no worries - I'll play around to see what's supported on Linux / Thunderbird and report back in case I find a solution ;)

regarding the blank eMail it would be good to ave another nSelection value for a blank email - meaning no body/ attachment in the new email.
currently supported are; 0 current branch, 1 current note only, 2 entire document, 3 note descendants only, 4 listed notes
What about another value -1 for a blank email for nSelection - or make it optional?

My use case is that I implemented a kind of CRM system in NoteCase Pro for me daily work. When I have meeting minutes I sometime want to send an email to everyone who has participated and therefore get the emails addresses from the text or from any linked note (e.g. contact note) and just want to create a new email to all found.

best regards
Raimund

info.sim...@googlemail.com

May 21, 2024, 1:34:54 AMMay 21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miro,

no worries re Linux / Thunderbird - I will play around and see whether I can come up with something.

regarding the blank eMail - can you just make nSelection either optional or add another optione - e.g. -1 - to leave the body of the new email blank?

best regards

Raimund

info.sim...@googlemail.com

May 21, 2024, 1:34:54 AMMay 21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miro,

thanks for your reply - I will play around with mailto: on linux ;-) and see what's possible - no worries
If you can just a an additional value to nSelection that would be great
currently nSelection support -- 0 current branch, 1 current note only, 2 entire document, 3 note descendants only, 4 listed notes
if we can have a e.g. -1 so no tmp file get's created and the body of the message remains empty that would do it.

My use case is that I basically have a small CRM system in NoteCase Pro and I have a function to send an email to all people listed in a note - e.g. meeting minutes. I check the text and all linked notes for email addresses and then generate an email to everyone listed but don't need the content of the note in the email

best regards

Raimund

Miroslav Rajcic

May 23, 2024, 11:29:05 AMMay 23
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Raimund,

I'll implement the additional nSelection value as suggested.

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Friday, May 17, 2024 10:59 AM
To: Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Question re Nc_Doc_SendViaEmail

Message has been deleted

info.sim...@googlemail.com

May 30, 2024, 7:50:55 AMMay 30
to Notecase Pro
Top, many thanks!!!
Message has been deleted

info.sim...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 11:27:21 PMJun 27
to Notecase Pro
Found out that Thunderbird is no longer supporting the attachment flag due to security reasons -
nothing one can do anything about

Miroslav Rajcic

Jun 27, 2024, 11:28:12 PMJun 27
to Notecase Pro