Notecase Pro won't uninstall to install newer version

wester...@gmail.com

May 10, 2023, 7:30:02 AM5/10/23
to Notecase Pro
Hello,
I've had this problem for a while now and have just gone to using the Portable version for the past few months.

I had to uninstall NoteCase Pro through the Windows uninstaller a while back.  When I tried to re-install it after that the installer still says there's an installed version and it has to uninstall it to be able to install it again.  When I click to uninstall the install program just locks up.  I've let it run for a while but it's unresponsive no matter what.
  I went through and checked for any directories that have anything to do with NCP and there isn't any.  I even went as far as clean the registry after that with anything to do with NCP but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Is there any difference in use between the Installed vs Portable versions?

Thanks,
Larry

wester...@gmail.com

May 10, 2023, 7:32:34 AM5/10/23
to Notecase Pro
Forgot to mention, it's the Windows version and newest installer, 4.7.1 I think.  It did this with just recent version installer also.

Miroslav Rajcic

May 10, 2023, 3:00:53 PM5/10/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi Larry,

on disk installations of portable vs standard versions are the same, except the portable version creates additional "portable.txt" in the same folder where "notecase.exe" if found.
When started, NCP will detect this file and switch to portable mode behavior:
  • it will use different configuration file (notecase_pro.ini) path, storing it in the same folder as .exe
  • the above bullet is the only difference I could find in the code
Related to installer itself (created using Inno Setup), setup is marked as "Uninstallable" (i.e. includes uninstaller) in standard mode, but not in portable, portable install should not touch the registry. This means you just need to manually delete your portable installation folder, unless there was some issue I was not aware.

I'll try installing/uninstalling things, trying to provoke the issue, but it would help if you manage to come up with the recipe to reproduce the problem.
Did you try rebooting the PC?

Regards,
  Miro

May 10, 2023, 8:08:19 PM5/10/23
to Notecase Pro
It happened probably around 6 months ago when I had to temporarily uninstall NoteCase.  Nothing unusual happened,   I just used the Windows Apps in setup to uninstall it.  It was the install version so I've just used the Portable since then.  I was just reminded of it during the latest install and just tried to install the installed version instead of portable and it froze up.  I was just curious if there were things the installed version does that the Portable doesn't so I'm fine and prefer using the Portable versions of programs.

Thanks for the answers.
Larry