Bug: Theme Selection Not Working

karlma...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 6:38:09 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Miroslav,

I just updated to latest:
4.5.7
GTK 3.24.24 64 bit Windows (Pro)

and when clicking to change themes:

Custom Theme (dropdown menu), the dropdown menu does not drop & is frozen.

I uninstalled NCP and reinstalled the latest version and the bug remains!
As you can see from the image I attached here.

I updated my Windows Pro too but no joy.

How do I change themes now?

ThemeBug.jpg

Thanks.

karlma...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 6:43:32 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
I installed NCP as administrator and launched NCP as administrator too.

I noticed the themes location had changed, so that is why I uninstalled the previous NCP version and deleted NCP folder in C:\ProgrmaFiles too.

Still Custom Themes dropdown menu was frozen. Unticking Custom Themes didn't help either.

Paul Merrell

Feb 13, 2021, 7:03:02 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
With the possible exception of on Linux, you can't presently change themes on the GTK 3 builds. GTK3 wants .CSS rather than themes used by GTK2.

On Linux, see Help file > About NoteCase Pro > About the GTK 3 Beta Release > GTK 3 Theme Change Instructions for Linux.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National Security Agency neither confirms nor denies that it intercepted this message.]
                                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

karlma...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 8:50:25 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Paul.

I assume the 32 bit version of GTK3 release also does not allow it, as in the 64bit version.
I tried downloading the 32bit v. of GTK3 but keeps saying file is corrupt!

So my only option is going back to 32bit x86 build.
Because I need dark themes, easy on the eye for long hours and easy on laptop battery too.
I made dozens of dark themes over the years for NCP, Miroslav knows.
Many of them were broken about a year ago after an update, so I made more then.

Few of my themes are css only. Most are reworked versions of big GTK2 themes with many subfolders, resources, graphics, icons etc.
However if a future GTK3 allows changing themes, then I can probably use those few css_only single file themes. They are not the best ones.

On Linux, have not had time to play with distros for some months now as am busy.
But there is a new updated distro called Garuda, based on Arch and can work with most interface libs including KDE.

Garuda solves the problem of crashes and losing system and/or files by a very robust timeshift snapshots backup.
Can save system restore points at updates of sys or even apps updates/installs.
If completely wiped, can restore from Grub bootloader to reinstall most recent sys & apps & data.

I hope Miroslav plays with it, it is basically an Arch distro anyway, also made easy for those scared of Arch.
Looks great with KDE, might play with it next week if i get time:

Thanks again Paul, and hello again to Miroslav :)
Have a good weekend

Paul Merrell

Feb 13, 2021, 9:56:57 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
The move to GTK 3 has taken intensive work by Miro. It will open many doors, but there are miles between them.

One you can play with now is support for .svg images and icons. SVG is now an available file format when you insert images into documents. The program does not yet ship a set of SVG icons.  But there are many free sets on the Web. They can be used as external icons. See Help file > User Interface > Dialogs > Pick Icon: "Assign an external icon to a note."

Just found something suggesting it can be done on Windows. See <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36464010/change-gtk3-look-on-windows>.

Also, GTK3 themes are available here: <https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/order/latest/>. There appear to be many of them, including dark themes.

Please let us know of your adventures in pursuit of themes. :-)

karlma...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 11:02:47 PM2/13/21
to Notecase Pro
Yes i know he's been working on GTK3 for years.
Converting gtk2 to gtk3 is messy. Even gtk2 themes look different on different platforms.
For NCP each one i used needed a LOT of work. Some were combos.
I will not have time this year but might do a few GTK3 later this year if i get time.
I tested all the dark gtk2 themes in the gnome-look site and edited some, as well as from other sites.
NCP looks awesome with a good theme.
If GTK3 theme selection becomes possible and I make some nice dark ones, i'll let you know here.
You guys can start messing around with the default css if you have time.
Have a good weekend :)

Miroslav Rajcic

Feb 14, 2021, 2:50:00 PM2/14/21
to Notecase Pro
Just to confirm the Paul's reply, GTK3 changes themes to use .css and generally it is not advised to modify the themes but use the default one.
As explained here:
if you want to play with switching to dark variant of the existing theme, you could use something similar to this example:
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark gnome-calculator
Basically, you need to declare environment variable GTK_THEME with the value "Adwaita:dark", and when you start the app (in this example "gnome-calculator") it should be started in dark variant of Adwaita (default) theme.

Regards,
  Miro

Feb 15, 2021, 9:21:42 AM2/15/21
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Miro.

When, approximately, do you think Theme Selection for GTK 64Bit will be unlocked?

Thanks.

Miroslav Rajcic

Feb 15, 2021, 9:28:40 AM2/15/21
to Notecase Pro
I can not really tell.
I don't know the exact way to enumerate existing .css themes, also since each theme can optionally have internal variants (dark vs "normal"), this is much harder task now (especially because it does not seem to be endorsed by Gnome/GTK because they believe everyone should use main system theme).

Regards,
  Miro

Feb 15, 2021, 9:39:44 AM2/15/21
to Notecase Pro
Thanks buddy,

Noticed there are a few multi themes & styles already in files. Even if you can do only one dark theme via Menus would be great.
Not just text panes, but dark for UI elements too like Candid Dark orange.
Dark theme is essential these days for many, would attract many new clients, worth the time.

Thanks again,
Have a good week.

karlma...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2021, 9:52:01 AM2/15/21
to Notecase Pro

I just saw your new reply after posting last message.
You read my mind as you can see.

Had a quick look at the link. I think some of them are also talking about the MS Windows dark theme option by user which is universally and automatically applied to apps, that would be great too.
That would take care of GTK UI elements too, great. Using standard Windows elements which are modern and cool.
Either way, MS Windows dark option or a custom dark theme, would be fantastic.

I think it's good to start somewhere, then it gets easier.
Interface is how most apps sell and go viral by word of mouth because they look good. They then get into features, in which NCP is already supreme. I never had NCP crash even once with my dozens of complex themes.
I think it's essential to slowly get into GTK3 UI nuts and bolts anyway.
It will be time well spent.

Thanks again,
Have fun.

Miroslav Rajcic

Feb 15, 2021, 10:46:17 AM2/15/21
to Notecase Pro
Thanks, I'll try to play with GTK3 themes this cycle.

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 3:52 PM

Miroslav Rajcic

Jun 3, 2021, 3:48:49 PM6/3/21
to Notecase Pro
Hi Karl,

the latest build features fixes related to dark theme, see the latest build here:
Can you give it a try?

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 3:52 PM