Bags/Briefcases

broo...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2007, 10:45:00 AM1/17/07
to Notebookism
This is a bit off topic, but one must carry their notebooks :-). I've
been carrying a soft-sided leather briefcase for about 10 years. It's
finally giving up - leather tearing, interior breaking down, but it's
been used heavily. Toting books while in seminary, and still toting
sometimes beyond it's optimum. So, I've been looking, and from what I
could find, I've tentatively settled on the LL Bean Carryall. Here's
the link:

Preview:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2taq49
Link:
http://tinyurl.com/2taq49

What will I be carrying? Regularly, my Lee Valley Portable Office, an
ESV Journalling Bible, and sundry other books, an iPod, miscellaneous
papers, etc. And I'll probably add a large Moleskine or comparable to
log ideas for illustrations/application for teaching/preaching.

So, does anyone have any other recommendations other than LL Bean?
Same ruggedness and durability? Similarly priced?

Thanks,
Jason

molly

Jan 19, 2007, 5:14:45 AM1/19/07
to Notebookism

normally i adore llbean but in this regard they bother me.
i used an llbean bag for many years and when i went back to the well
they had no longer made that model
http://swillonstick.blogspot.com/2006/02/mamas-got-brand-new-bag.html
even this is only vaguely like the one i had from 2 years before.

as a matter of fact they change bag models every damn year now.
i switched to a $40 Craftsman tool bag
http://swillonstick.blogspot.com/2006/08/mamas-got-brand-new-bag.html
but i found that the shoulder strap connections don't hold up well.

now i have gone back to my old faithful canvas Domke camera bag as my
everyday bag - but these are $$.
http://swillonstick.blogspot.com/2006/08/mamas-got-brand-new-bag.html

next time i may look at more bags from the tool section they seem to be
tougher and cheaper than the ones designed for the rest of us.
http://swillonstick.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-bag-fetish-is-taking-over.html

yes i have a bag fetish.

mike jack

Jan 19, 2007, 5:22:03 AM1/19/07
to Notebookism
If you have the time and patience, check "whatsinmybag" and
"whatsinyourbag" on FLICKR.Lots of different bags from around the
world. It's where I discovered Moleskines.

Steve

Jan 19, 2007, 8:07:01 AM1/19/07
to Notebookism
I'm currently using the L. L. Bean Sportsman's briefcase:

http://tinyurl.com/zpwm6

It's more expensive than the carryall, but has tons of room (in fact,
with it's expandable gusset, it can be a small suitcase), seems very
durable, and is nice looking (I got the model in green). If it's not
completely out of your price range, it may be worth a look.

broo...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2007, 9:48:06 AM1/19/07
to Notebookism
Thanks for the tip molly. I would agree - the contractor grade stuff
is better. I have a Bucket Boss Gatemouth Pro for tools. But the bags
of the good size are the wrong orientation for much of what I carry.

As for the LL Bean Sportsman, I'll check it out. hey, $9 difference,
no biggie.

And if money were no object, I'd go for Filson. The materials I've
seen from them are virtually indestructible. See the original and
large Briefcase here: http://tinyurl.com/dzlq5

They also have a beautiful Bridle Leather field bag:
http://tinyurl.com/yoqcwh

Thanks to all. And mike jack, I'm slowly perusing the Flickr photos.
Thanks!

Jason

Joy

Jan 19, 2007, 11:28:07 AM1/19/07
to Notebookism
Check out Tom Bihn bags. Excellent and very well-made.

broo...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2007, 2:09:52 PM1/19/07
to Notebookism
What does the inside of the carryall look like? Compartments?
Office-style compartment? Discounting the gusset and trusting Bean's
measurements, they both have the same volume. And by measurements,
there isn't much difference.

The Sportsman's Bag states it's 11"HX14"WX7"D.
The Carryall is 12"HX17"WX6"D.

So, I guess it would come down to the interior differences. If I could
only get some better pics somewhere.

Jason

Steve

Jan 19, 2007, 4:37:58 PM1/19/07
to Notebookism
I have no pics of the Sportsman interior, but here goes a brief

Large main compartment -- just a big open space with no gizmos or
pockets or whatever.

Attached to the front of the large main compartment is a smaller
zippered pocket, but plenty big for small books (this is where I stash
my journal, pencil satchel and other writing tools).

Attached to the front of the second pocket is the organizer section:
slots for cell phones, business cards, pens, a key ring, a small mesh
zippered compartment. Various sizes of places to stash small items.

Then the flap that buckles over the organizer area has an exterior
zippered pocket that can hold tickets, date books, other small stuff
you might want to get to without opening the flap.

Maria

Mar 14, 2007, 11:18:46 PM3/14/07
to Notebookism
There's also the Ameribag line, take a look: www.ameribag.com . They
don't look overly feminine - imo - and have other bags that may be
more durable, easier to carry and look more masculine?

Despite the retail prices, there's always eBay. :)

Maria

broo...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2007, 2:43:52 PM3/15/07
to Notebookism
Thanks Maria. Took a look about, but didn't see one in the size range
I liked. But thanks again for taking the time to drop a response.

On Mar 14, 11:18 pm, "Maria" <mero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's also the Ameribag line, take a look:www.ameribag.com. They

Joy

Mar 17, 2007, 10:08:47 PM3/17/07
to Notebookism
Tom Bihn bags are the best. www.Tombihn.com

-Joy

broo...@gmail.com

May 1, 2007, 1:32:32 PM5/1/07
to Notebookism
Well, my birthday just passed. My dear wife grabbed an LL Bean
CarryAll Briefcase (http://tinyurl.com/37bt7j). So far, it's great.
I've been able to easily stuff over 16# of files, books, etc into this
beastly thing. It handles the caribiner for my travel mug fine, and
even has a nice pocket to hold a hard-sided glasses case.

For the fit, size and price, this looks to be a winner, especially if
it holds up like my 20 year old Bean back pack.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of the recommendations were new
to me and it was nice to see what was out there.

Jason

thomas_t...@yahoo.com

May 1, 2007, 3:49:07 PM5/1/07
to noteb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been looking at a canvas satchel which has
apparently flooded ebay - apparently used by the
character "Jack Bauer" from the series, 23.

Ref:

http://tomsdigitalnotebook.blogspot.com/2007/04/bag-that-saved-world.html

-Tom.

"Yes I know I'm evil but I'm just so good at it."
http://www.brotherthomas.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

broo...@gmail.com

May 2, 2007, 8:20:27 AM5/2/07
to Notebookism
Interesting. I've never gotten into 24, but the bag reminds me of
many generic satchels I've seen based off of Mil Surplus styling. But
I wonder if velcro is your closure of choice when staying a personal
Armageddon is contingent on what you carry in said bag... :-)

On May 1, 3:49 pm, <thomas_the_gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at a canvas satchel which has
> apparently flooded ebay - apparently used by the
> character "Jack Bauer" from the series, 23.
>
> Ref:
>

> http://tomsdigitalnotebook.blogspot.com/2007/04/bag-that-saved-world....

thomas_t...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2007, 9:37:41 AM5/2/07
to noteb...@googlegroups.com
This is why 'Book People' will eventually take over
the world. We think about things like, "Would velcro
be the best choice for this bag?" After the third or
fourth time you've tumbled to the ground from a
speeding car or tactically rolled out of the way of a
sniper's bullet - how much of what you put in the bag
will still be in there?

We, the Bibliophiles, understand that if it's really
important, (like our books), we'll take beyond normal
measures to protect them from harm.

Anyone carry a zip-lock baggy in their bag for their
book in case it rains? Or has some other means to
ensure that the book would be protected from water?

Hehe...

Bibliophiles of the Free World...Unite.

Hey, that's catchy. Someone write that down.

-Tom.

http://tomsdigitalnotebook.blogspot.com/

broo...@gmail.com

May 2, 2007, 12:19:52 PM5/2/07
to Notebookism
Great synopsis. One requirement for my new bag was waterproofness.
So, I kinda have a whole zip-loc bag. I had a Moleskine damaged this
winter. It was in the pocket (un buttoned) of my field coat and ice
and snow fell in on top of it (turned spine down). Never again did I
present the book to my pocket the same. And how many of us are highly
precise, on the order of Monk, on how we place our biblios into cases,
insuring not to injure their precious pages...