keeping your handwritten letters handy and secure

van

Jun 6, 2007, 10:37:19 AM6/6/07
to Notebookism
I've been corresponding with a wonderful girl on rather serious
terms ...one of the neat peripheral aspects of the relationship is
that our correspondence has been solely handwritten letters - no
emails or text messages. You all should be so lucky to find such a gem
in this modern age :-)

One thing has become apparent in all of this letter-writing, is that I
need a way to keep increasing quantities of letters both sent and
received, in a manner that is both organized and at least a little
secure. By secure, I mean basically tamper-resistant. I don't mind
leaving all the letters alone with my roommate but if his curiosity
gets the better of him and he tries to read them, I'd at least like to
know.

I envision something like this:
- for the most recent letters, a smaller folder or portfolio with a
small/dinky padlock on it, or maybe a lockable zipper -- emphasis on
portability (e.g., can fit easily in a small backpack)

- for the older letters, some way of archiving in an organized and
secure fashion, maybe less portable (a dispatch box or something like
it?)

Does anyone have any ideas of products that might fit these needs, or
could be made to do so with some crafting? Local stores such as
Michael's, Archiver's etc., don't seem to have anything. Also, how did
people deal with these needs in the past when handwritten letters were
the prevalent method of communication?

John Mayson

Jun 6, 2007, 10:53:59 AM6/6/07
to noteb...@googlegroups.com
What about a locking filing cabinet?

Best of luck to both of you!

John

--
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

JimL

Jun 6, 2007, 8:32:19 PM6/6/07
to Notebookism

Over the years I had a tendency to acquire briefcases -- attache,
satchel, etc. Many with locks. I just kept looking for the 'perfect'
one for different times of my life and work. One day I lined them up
against the home office wall, looked at them, and realized all the
wasted space inside them all. So I dedicated each case to contain
items of individual categories --
1) notes,brochures,mapsfor planned and past travel
2) (easy open attache) throw in financial papers during a calendar
until I do my taxes and then what of it all to keep and file
3) greeting cards, postcards, cards from children I just want to save,
postcards I bought on my travels when I realized the waste of time in
carrying my own camera.
4) little tools and gadgets for travel that I can never find when
packing the night before a trip.
5) cables, power converters, rechargersfor all the electronics in the
home (even going so far as having each/set in a gallon ziplock bag
labelled as to what it is.
6) I learned from an attorney o have a case near my front door with
copies of all essential records, and a pair of shoes (really), to grab
if the place is on fire and I have no time to gather anything else.

7) <sigh> If I had such a dear correspondent, the letters would go
in the largest aluminum attache with the secure combo lock.

So I guess it's number 7 that really speaks to your question. And if
you need a briefcase or attache, let me know. I have some for sale :)

van

Jun 7, 2007, 1:49:41 PM6/7/07
to Notebookism

> What about a locking filing cabinet?

well, that would work, I guess. I already have a (rather large) filing
cabinet though which I would rather not start locking. Something a
little more targeted to the purpose i.e., smaller, would be better.

molly

Jun 9, 2007, 11:11:52 PM6/9/07
to Notebookism
i keep envisioning night deposit bags.
those are the large zippered bags businesses use to put their deposits
in the bank drop
they are shaped like large old fashioned pencil cases with zippers and
locks and keys
i use them in my desk for securing postage stamps.

van

Jun 26, 2007, 3:38:33 PM6/26/07
to Notebookism

On Jun 9, 10:11 pm, molly <bibliophilebull...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i keep envisioning night deposit bags.
> those are the large zippered bags businesses use to put their deposits
> in the bank drop
> they are shaped like large old fashioned pencil cases with zippers and
> locks and keys
> i use them in my desk for securing postage stamps.

Yes, that's a good idea...I've thought of those as well. Maybe that
would work for keeping the older letters at home.

So far I've just been carrying them all with me in my backpack, but I
hate to think of the possibility of something happening to the
backpack! Otherwise I've been going for the "Purloined Letter" model
of security :-)