ESP8266 not responding

Christian Bianchini

Apr 30, 2015, 6:11:17 PM4/30/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
I know people were playing with this little guy, but I got to the point that I might have fucked it up.

I managed to setup a wifi then I have upgrade the firmware then was working for a while and now it doesnt response to any AT commands.

I still can flash, that is a bit weird but none of the image do something to bring it back :( should I give up and order a new one?

Danny Staple

May 1, 2015, 12:43:16 PM5/1/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried it on different baudrates?
The bootloader seems to do stuff at 115200, but the default firmware was at 9600. I found that when mine was in a bootloop due to the power supply.

There is stuff here about bootloader mode - where you will not be able to do AT commands:

It says there:
"Before we can flash the files we need to set the ESP8266 into bootloader mode.

The Device is checking the GPIOs at startup, if it finds a certain configuration it will enter the bootloader mode or load from Flash.
To get into bootloader mode we need to connect GPIO0 to GND and reboot the ESP8266 via power cylce (disconnect power and plug it in again) or by disconnecting CH_PD from VDD and connecting it again. Once you have done so you will notice that you can't send AT commands anymore.
Also you well see again some data which is not readable.

The chip is now in bootloader mode."

Have you taken it back out of bootloader mode - presumably disconnecting GPIO0 from GND, and pulling CH_PD up to VDD then powercycling?

What steps have you been doing to update/flash it?

Faraz Sayed

May 1, 2015, 4:52:03 PM5/1/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
If you flash it with node mcu, you wouldn't use AT commands anymore. Node mcu uses lua based commands. With esptool you can write little 'sketches' to save to the module that can make it independent.

Like said above don't forget to remove the pull down on the gpio before you ready to use the thing.

Make sure you have enough current capability for the power supply. I think I remember that the chip enable pin seemed to draw a lot of current for no particular reason, maybe have a resistor between that and vcc to reduce that current. (I might be wrong)

Christian Bianchini

May 2, 2015, 4:37:30 AM5/2/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
I have used the esp tool in python to upload 2-3 different firmwares, all of them AT mode and flashing, getting ID  or mac address works with that python script.

As soon as I disconnected the grounded pin to  use the device, I dont get anything! I tried  all the baudrate, different way to try to get anything from it, but it is DEAD :(
Only in "flash mode" works

Christian Bianchini

May 12, 2015, 5:16:30 PM5/12/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Ok I declared that was dead so I bought a esp-03, it works pretty fine on arduino mega with Serial and Serial1 but I am getting so many problems on Arduino pro mini 3.3v

My sketch is:

#include <ESP8266.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#define SSID        "WIFI"
#define PASSWORD    "12345678"

SoftwareSerial mySerial(5,4); // RX, TX

ESP8266 wifi(mySerial);

void setup() {
    pinMode(13, OUTPUT);      digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
    mySerial.begin(9600);
    Serial.begin(9600);

  //  Serial.println(wifi.restart());
  //  Serial1.begin(115200);
  wifi.setOprToStationSoftAP();
 // Serial.println("aaa");

  wifi.setSoftAPParam(SSID,PASSWORD);

//  wifi.enableMUX();

  wifi.startTCPServer(8000);

  wifi.setTCPServerTimeout(10);

  pinMode(5,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(13,LOW);
}

String command = "";

void loop() {

  uint8_t buffer[128] = {
    0  };
  uint8_t mux_id;
  uint8_t len = wifi.recv(&mux_id, buffer, sizeof(buffer), 100);
  Serial.println(len);
  if (len > 0) {
// digitalWrite(13,LOW);
    command = "";
    for(uint32_t i = 0; i < len; i++) {
        command.concat((char)buffer[i]);
    }
   // Serial.println(command);
    parseCommand(command);

  }

delay(10);
}

to get a simple TCP server from ESP8266 and I got the AT 0.21 and SDK 0.9.5.

I had to force to change baudrate to 9600 so I could use the Software serial but apparently I can't get any data coming except if I use the Arduino MEGA.

I am so confused, is the library shit? Am I doing something strange with the Arduino?!

Christian Bianchini

May 12, 2015, 5:23:21 PM5/12/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
And only with Hardware Serial1, with SoftwareSerial on Arduino mega dont work as well.

Eugene Nadyrshin

May 15, 2015, 9:17:51 PM5/15/15
to Christian Bianchini, not-just...@googlegroups.com
I've started playing with these modules recently and took a look at the AT command firmware and found it extremely limiting, especially given that it's got a 32bit 80Mhz uC on it. It took me a few minutes to setup my Arduino IDE environment to program the ESP-01 module directly with very good results! There's a makezine article describing the process. Maybe see if you can approach your problem from a different angle ? :P

danny staple

May 17, 2015, 6:52:30 AM5/17/15
to Eugene Nadyrshin, Christian Bianchini, not-just...@googlegroups.com

I've flashed lua firmware on one of mine and intend to try micro python on the other. Unless I intend for microsecond real-time stuff, they are both more than sufficient. I am hoping to get them to totally field programmable, so I can get to a repl or upload new code via wifi.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Not Just Arduino" group.

dannz

Dec 2, 2015, 7:27:18 PM12/2/15
to Not Just Arduino
This happens to the ESP if the size of the flash memory is changed in the IDE. The serial monitor shows recurring fatal exception error messages or spews out what looks like garbage. Use esptool.py to erase_flash then reload the firmware.