help with connectng ths screen to a pi?

sam hobs

May 6, 2019, 10:15:14 AM5/6/19
to Not Just Arduino
Hi,

I am very much a early-beginner-level with electronics.  I have gotten some LEDs flashing on a breadboard a while back but that's about it.

If i'm stuck on a project, like trying to connect a screen to a pi, and can visit a london hackspace, is it ok to just sign up for a single month, so I don't pay for months when I don't visit. But if I visit even once in a month then I can pay £15. Is that ok?

Or perhaps going as a visitor and I can donate?  I think that would suit me best.

And how would I go about getting help with a project?

The project is very small and simple, i'd like to connect this screen

 to a Raspberry Pi Zero.

I guess I could try plugging the screen right into the pi, but I want to try to avoid breaking the Pi or the screen.

There is a question about it https://web.archive.org/web/20131012001601/https://www.sainsmart.com/vanilla/discussion/25874/how-do-i-connect-the-little-screen-to-raspberry-pi-and-what-connector-is-it  but it doesn't look that straight forward to me as i'm very much early-beginner-level

Thanks

Nick Reynolds

May 6, 2019, 12:25:33 PM5/6/19
to sam hobs, Not Just Arduino
Is there a reason you would like to use this specific screen? You
_can_ use these cheap SPI screens but a branded one with some kind of
support will be a lot easier to get going yourself.
> --

Nick Reynolds - 950SM|620SC
In the land beyond cleaning where the Dust Donkeys dwell

sam hobs

May 6, 2019, 12:57:30 PM5/6/19
to Not Just Arduino
It is branded, the brand is sainsmart, as in that link

What brands would you suggest that have good support?

thanks

On Monday, 6 May 2019 17:25:33 UTC+1, Nick Reynolds wrote:
Is there a reason you would like to use this specific screen? You
_can_ use these cheap SPI screens but a branded one with some kind of
support will be a lot easier to get going yourself.