Paw Paws (asimina triloba)

LawnMowerHater

May 4, 2014, 9:27:42 AM5/4/14
to northfieldga...@googlegroups.com
I have extra paw paw seeds if anyone wants them.

They are the left-overs that haven't yet sprouted after a month of sitting on a tray of soil.  The germination rate of these left-overs will be low, but a number of them will still germinate, and if I give you a bundle of them, and you plant them, you will almost certainly get plants - good ones with known parentage.

The seeds are all products of crosses between a known cultivar (either Pennsylvania Golden or Wells) and a particular specimen in my backyard.

The paw paw is the largest native fruit and it's supposedly not good in zone 4a.  A couple of us, though, have found specimens (after much testing, and a lot of die-off) that thrive here.  The one in my backyard bears early enough that we can actually get ripe fruit from it during our short growing season.  This is key, of course.

If you're the sort of person whose interest in piqued by such talk (you folks know who you are), please call me at my Google number, 507 873 0123 and we can arrange to get you some seeds.

Richard

LawnMowerHater

May 4, 2014, 9:33:02 AM5/4/14
to northfieldga...@googlegroups.com

I mean, zone 4b (our zone, that is, in Northfield).  See previous posting.