Hacking on outer-space-related projects? Take our money, damnit!

Alex C-G

Apr 30, 2014, 6:36:26 AM4/30/14
to north...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has been hacking on any space-related projects (or wants to start). And by space, I mean the inky black thing above our heads, not the hackspace itself.

I ask because SpaceGAMBIT (a US-gov-funded hackerspace space program I work for) is looking for cool projects to fund this year. What we have in mind is:

* Websites/software/games to explain and inspire people about NASA's Asteroid Grand Challenge (finding all asteroids that are threats to human populations, and figuring out what the heck to do about them)
* How to educate more people to get involved in the Asteroid Grand Challenge (e.g. training materials for stuff like asteroid detection, light curve analysis, etc)
* Making telescopes more accessible to citizen scientists and makers
* Anything else that's frickin' cool and space related

We can fund projects up to 10,000 USD, and all projects should be completed by Aug 30 2014. Other requirements:
* Open source/hardware/documentation/everything
* Linked with hackerspace/makerspace/other collaborative space
* Accounting: we need a decent report of how you spend the money
* Nothing restricted under ITAR (a bunch of laws that make it difficult to openly share info. Covers stuff like rocketry and other things that go kaboom. Space suits too)

More info is at http://www.spacegambit.org/2014-call-for-projects/ . If you're interested, get your applications in by May 19!

To infinity and beyond!

Alex C-G

PS: Since I'm a Brit, it'd be great to get some British project applications and show the Americans what's what!

Stephen Bridges

Apr 30, 2014, 5:39:44 PM4/30/14
to Northackton
Isn't USG money normally earmarked as US-only or in partnership with a US company or educational establishment?  Admittedly that might be a moot point, I have no knowledge on how to spot asteroids!

M5AKA

Apr 30, 2014, 5:53:37 PM4/30/14
to north...@googlegroups.com
Yes the money is for US citizens only, however, this may be of interest:

A free Workshop is being held May 13 in Harwell for those interested in developing DIY space hardware

Trevor

Stephen Bridges

Apr 30, 2014, 5:59:17 PM4/30/14
to Northackton
I would genuinely like to go to that, but I am on holiday.  I suspect when Mat reads his mail tomorrow evening though, he will be interested.

Thanks,

Stephen.