Northampton Libraries

Martin Raynsford

Feb 12, 2015, 9:18:21 AM2/12/15
to Northackton
Hey,
Northampton Libraries would like to start a hackspace within the library, obviously they're keen to know about Northackton and find out what the community would like to see in such a facility.

Would anybody be free to help out at an open day/discussion on the 14th of March. If you wanted to bring something to show what a hackspace does that would be awesome. The deadline is short because there is another big event in town that day and they want the extra footfall.

Hopefully some of the old old members will read this and want to pitch in as well?
Martin

Andy Brewer

Feb 12, 2015, 1:40:52 PM2/12/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
While it would be nice to see a local hackspace live again with fresh blood, ideas and publicity, I'm unfortunately not available on March 14th for most of the day. Where is it to be held and what times?

stewart

Feb 13, 2015, 5:58:40 AM2/13/15
to north...@googlegroups.com

I am interested in coming to a new hack-space when running  but for people outside town like me a few  questions they will need to know  1) which library 2) post code  3) parking situation 4) meeting time - day or evening 5) cost if any 6) facilities available -  Free Wifi,  plugs, tables etc  6) snack food  and  An image of space would be good

Regarding the 14th I  may be able to come and help in afternoon.

Stewart Dunn

Paul Hegarty

Feb 13, 2015, 11:41:57 AM2/13/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
I currently live a little outside of Northampton, but I would be happy to help out.

I have been involved in the founding of 2 hack-spaces (Reading Makerspace and 'Surrey and Hampshire Hackspace' down south, before I moved up this way. There are definitely a few pitfalls that can catch people out with this sort of thing. But they are fairly easy to avoid if you plan ahead properly.

 How far along are things. Is it currently a bit of a blank canvas, or are there definite ideas about how the hackspace will mesh with the main library? Also, is it planned as a one-off thing, or as something other libraries could use as a template? I would definately like a fun, functional hackspace in the area though. Northackton was a good idea, but never really got it's feet under itself.

I'll be happy to come down on the 14th March, I might be unavailable though, so free to contact me off list as well (will send you contact info privately).

Regards

Paul

Paul Hegarty

Feb 19, 2015, 7:29:21 PM2/19/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
Is there any more word on this?

Martin Raynsford

Feb 20, 2015, 3:18:43 AM2/20/15
to north...@googlegroups.com

Nope, its still happening apparently but I asked for a link to some information and haven't had it yet.
Martin

Martin Raynsford

Feb 21, 2015, 4:18:27 AM2/21/15
to Northackton
Here is the library call for volunteers. They're definitely keen to have maker/hacker type people.

LibraryPlus_HackTheLibraryVolunteers.pdf

Mat Burnham

Mar 17, 2015, 4:00:33 PM3/17/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
I popped along to this while I was in town on Sunday. Had a brief chat to a few people and made myself famous on Twitter.

It's an interesting idea to utilise library spaces. I got the impression that part of the idea was a little more akin to a startup incubator than necessarily a hackspace (but I'm sure both can co-exist). It seems they're hoping to fund it through attracting people who want to make money (e.g. selling kits) and taking a cut of the profits towards the library. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in Northampton and around the country.

There was a stall with some kind of kits (I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been, maybe these ones), a book publishing firm (@SoapboxPress), the Stony Reminiscence Group, and a table with some Lego Mindstorms on. While I was there one chap was interested in starting a workshop (again, can't remember what - my mind is frazzled today, headache/sore throat) and one of the library staff showed me an old style telephone you could dial up a radio station on. Usual engineer question - so how does it work? It had an Arduino running an FM receiver stuffed inside the casing in the usual Arduino hack manner - wires everywhere.

I stopped short of taking a #shelfie... :~|

I was hoping to make it down to the MK makerspace meet on Thursday but I have other plans now. Would be interested in hearing back from anyone who does go (or indeed Paul) and I'll try to make the next one.

Mat

Nick Drage

Apr 2, 2015, 5:15:17 PM4/2/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 08:00:32PM +0000, Mat Burnham wrote:
> I popped along to this while I was in town on Sunday. Had a brief chat to a
> few people and made myself famous on Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/commonlibraries/status/576748994967314434>.

I can't find any references to this online after a whole minute or so of
searching, apart from this relatively old blog post:

http://commonlibraries.cc/hack-the-library-northamptonshire/

Any suggestions on when to find out if it's happening again?

--
"It is better to be slightly on fire
than to curse the darkness"