Laser cutter.

Paul Hegarty

Apr 1, 2015, 5:46:52 AM4/1/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
I know you guys had a laser cutter and was wondering what your longer term plans were for it?

We have had several queries over at Milton Keynes hackspace on if and when we will be getting one.

Regards

Paul

Adrian Godwin

Apr 2, 2015, 2:19:13 AM4/2/15
to northackton
Hi Paul,

It was paid for with donations, a particulary large one from Martin Raynsford. As far as I know Martin was repaid by some of the northampton locals and so it remains for their use, I have a small share and may use it if I want to.

If MK hackspace had been around at the time then moving it one would have been possible but would need a bit of unwinding now to be fair. I don't know how much use it's getting though so if the main contributors wanted to move it, I'd be perfectly happy with it going to MK.

-adrian

Martin Raynsford

Apr 2, 2015, 3:04:35 AM4/2/15
to Northackton
I would have no objections to it moving either.

Stephen Bridges

Apr 2, 2015, 8:08:38 AM4/2/15
to Northackton

It's currently plumbed into my garage as I had the most space when the hackspace folded. It's still in regular use although it needs a thorough clean

Paul Hegarty

May 22, 2015, 9:52:44 AM5/22/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys. Sorry I went quite on this. It fell to the back burner for a while

We are now looking seriously at getting a laser cutter fairly soon. Before we go running around ebay looking, was there a consensus on if the current owners would be willing to either rehome it with us, or sell it to us outright?

Can I also ask, how much you paid for it, and how reliable it has been. I only have experience with RLab's laser cutters which were expensive, but very well behaved.

Thanks

Paul

Martin Raynsford

May 22, 2015, 10:07:03 AM5/22/15
to Northackton
£800 was paid for it, it was a bit of a deal for the hackspace from another hackspacer. It's a HPC3020 running newly draw they're actually pretty reliable and easy to get the hang of.
I'm happy for it to be re homed and happier for it to be sold outright, guess it mostly depends on Steve :)
Martin

Adrian Godwin

May 22, 2015, 12:35:30 PM5/22/15
to north...@googlegroups.com

I have a small stake in it. I'm quite happy to go along with whatever steve, martin and matt prefer.

Stephen Bridges

May 25, 2015, 10:54:57 AM5/25/15
to Northackton
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay.  I'd like to keep it a few more months, but in August I'd be happy to sell it to you and redistribute the monies back to the people who cashed in the first time in the same ratios.  Some sort of 50% hackerspace rate seems appropiate!

Mail me off-list and we'll discuss it.

Paul Hegarty

May 27, 2015, 7:50:27 AM5/27/15
to north...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear about that. Will message you offlist about it. :)