Poplar laser Ply thickness

Tech Lobo

Dec 4, 2023, 6:02:01 AM12/4/23
to North East Makers
I was asking last week what was the type and thickness of the laserply that is typically used in the makerspace, and was informed that it is generally 3mm Birch or Poplar (with the Birch being heavier therefore preferable).

My local timber merchant can get sheets of 3mm Birch or 4mm Poplar, with the Birch being a lot more expensive and only BB quality.

My questions are:
  1. Can the laser cutter deal with 4mm Poplar? (I assume so, particularly as it is a lighter wood, but would appreciate confirmation).
  2. Does the extra thickness of the Poplar offset some of the aspects of the lower density when compared with the 3mm Birch?
Kevin.

Alistair MacDonald

Dec 4, 2023, 6:25:39 AM12/4/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

The laser cutter will manage 6mm birch or poplar, so 4mm popler is not a problem. Yes the birch is a lighter wood and needs less energy to cut, but it is all around the same ballpark and the settings can be dialed in quickly enough. Also, yes, Purch costs are high at the moment and still fluctuating a lot.

One word of warning is buying generic plywood is that you don't know what is in the layers inside the wood, and because they are never seen they may contain knots and filler that will not cut as cleanly as the wood. This is why ply often has multiple quality marks, one being for the front, the back, and the intermediate. If the front is "bb" it is liley all the layers are not great to cut. This has never been a problem for me with the poplar I have used, but it is a common problem with the birch. Laser ply is generally just normal ply, but the intermediate layers are of a far better quality.

If you are going popular then you are probably okay with any supplier. I will say that the finish of birch is far superior, but that is a personal opinion. If the poplar has the finish and strength you want then go with that.

All the best,

  Alistair