Gnu Radio Companion users?

Will McElderry

Jan 19, 2022, 9:17:23 AM1/19/22
to North East Makers
Hi All,

I'm still using with GRC every now and again: I can almost get it to do
the very basic thing I'm trying to do, but it ends up feeling more like
the 'button mashing' approach to video games than like I'm really in
control of powerful software...

Are there other users of GRC out there? (pretty sure there must be!)
What are you using it for?

(I'm currently using it with a cheap RTL-SDR recorder to inspect some
devices that are not operating as intended!)

If there's anyone who can help with the following, I'd really like to
get a grip on some low-level details of the GTK waterfall plot:

I'm interested in how many samples are required as it relates to the
number of FFT bins, and how the 'update rate' parameter affects things.

And why is the Y axis (time) always wrong? How can/should I rescale it?

I'm pretty sure it's user error as there's lots I do not understand, but
I cannot find the docs that will help me through these issues.

Thanks!

Will.

Alistair MacDonald

Jan 19, 2022, 9:37:54 AM1/19/22
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think a few of us have been playing with SDRs recently. The ADS-B station I built uses one with an Orange Pi in fact.

Sorry I am a SDRSharp user and can not really help with GNU Radio. That said it was covered on one of the Tonight at 8 talks from the RSGB. It might have some insight... https://rsgb.org/main/blog/tonight-at-eight-archive/2020/10/29/2-november-an-introduction-to-gnu-radio-by-heather-lomond-m0hmo/

All the best,

  Alistair

Will McElderry

Jan 22, 2022, 6:13:22 PM1/22/22
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for that - I've had a brief look at the video, but hardly had 5 minutes to get to the good stuff.

I've not tried SDRsharp -  I'll investigate when I get time. Is it good?  Does it allow for development/automation?

Gnuradio companion is built with python modules behind it, so you can create your own workflow, then run it as a standalone application and output decoded symbols or whatever.  I doubt GRC is the only thing with that in mind, but so alternatives would be good to know about!

I know Malcolm was talking about getting a more powerful SDR supporting TX and RX a while back - something I'm keen on right now.   Just a matter of choosing a model!  I've heard some good things about Hack RF One, but that was a while ago too now...

Will.

Jon Davies

Jan 23, 2022, 10:06:27 AM1/23/22
to North East Makers
Hi Will,

We have a chat room on Matrix at #makerspace-ncl-radio:matrix.org if you want to chat about radio related stuff like SDRs.  Obviously, that is more ad-hoc than a proper conversation thread here on North East Makers.

Cheers,
Jon.