Invitation: can you help us imagine the future of materials?

Tiago Moreira

Apr 6, 2022, 7:19:18 AM4/6/22
to North East Makers

My name is Tiago Moreira. I am a professor of Sociology at Durham University and I work with a colleague in biophysics (Margarita Staykova) in a project on living materials, funded by the Royal Society.

Living materials are made of combining living cells with artificial scaffolds. They are a new area of scientific research on how to make our needs and materiality more sustainable

We need your help in helping imagine what these materials can do in future working, making and everyday life.

Given your expertise, it would be fantastic to have the input of people in this group about the future of our materials.

We are conducting an interactive 2 hours workshop on 23 April 10-12 am and I hope some of you will be able to join us.

For more information on the project  https://materialimagination.org/

If interested, please contact tiago....@durham.ac.uk

Thank you and hope to see some of you there.

Best wishes

Tiago Moreira
Professor of Sociology
Durham University
32, Old Elvet
Durham DH1 3HN

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 6, 2022, 7:43:10 AM4/6/22
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com, tiago....@durham.ac.uk
Hi Tiago,

First a quick warning that this got stuck in the list moderation queue, and then Gmail flagged it as spam, so most will not have seen it. Hopefully this replay will get thought.

Can you tell us what is going to happen the workshops, what the outcome will be and why someone should want to attend? It sounds interesting, but is it interesting enough for someone to take a morning out of the day?

All the best,

  Alistair

Tiago Moreira

Apr 6, 2022, 8:42:21 AM4/6/22
to North East Makers

Many thanks, Alastair.

I am always not sure how much information I should provide in a first invitation to a general list but below is the description of the activities involved:

We are seeking participants for a highly interactive online workshop where together, using speculative design methodologies, we will imagine what it means to live with living materials, what opportunities and concerns they might pose for our everyday activities such as working, leisure, cooking, and what skills and attitudes we may need to integrate them in our lives.

The project has two main goals: to establish the principles of new living materials, and use design methods to engage relevant stakeholders in this innovation space in order to inform the shaping of future policy on these materials and their potential applications.

For more information on the project  https://materialimagination.org/

Many thanks

Tiago

Tiago Moreira