Testing WebCams

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 1, 2023, 11:17:57 AM10/1/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any webcams I can borrow at Welcome Wednesday?

I am testing with a Google Coral Dev Board Mini and doing some AI trained gesture tracking. The problem I have is there are zero camera modules available (excluding silly price ones at less than reputable online sources) so I am trying to get it working with a USB camera instead.

The issue is that I have only managed to get it working with one very old camera at the exciting resolution of 320x240. Woo. This is because there are a very limited set of camera drivers compiled into the kernel and I don't have a list of what those are. I am short of time so my solution is to just test what I can and then test with the beast I can find.

So, yes, if you have a webcam I can borrow and are coming into Maker Space on Wednesday then please let me know.

All the best,

  Alisatir

Brian Degger

Oct 1, 2023, 1:17:21 PM10/1/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Do you want to borrow a pi camera module3?

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 1, 2023, 1:22:19 PM10/1/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but no thanks. Unfortunately they are not comparable. I wish they were, but they are not.

All the best,

  Alistair

Brian Degger

Oct 1, 2023, 4:01:37 PM10/1/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I may have one or two usb webcams, if I manage to find them.

David P.

Oct 2, 2023, 4:32:33 AM10/2/23
to North East Makers
Hi Alistair, how long do you need it for?

If it's just to test the operation I can bring the Aukey 1080 I use for zoom meetings, and I'll take it back when I leave for the evening.
Aside from that I have some older cameras somewhere that are probably 800x600. I'll bring one if I can find it, and you can borrow that for however long.

David

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 2, 2023, 5:19:06 AM10/2/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the offers. Don't go uninstalling anything, or going out of your way to find things. It really is a scattergun approach to trying to find any common elements, so the value of each camera is low. It is the fact that I am testing so many that it is proving valuable.

As for what I am doing, I am checking if the Coral kernel can identify the camera as a camera, and then on the few I can access I check what kind of images I can actually grab. There are a few people working on this around the world so if we can identify the common element(s) that work(s) then we can see then if we can source compatible devices where we are.

All the best,

  Alistair

Jon Davies

Oct 2, 2023, 9:38:06 AM10/2/23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com, north-ea...@googlegroups.com, Alistair MacDonald

I've put an HP 1080p camera in my bag for Wednesday.

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 5, 2023, 7:47:27 AM10/5/23
to Jon Davies, north-ea...@googlegroups.com
A quick thank you to everyone who brought in cameras for me to test. It was appreciated. The good news is that we managed to find a second camera that worked, and one that is available second hand across the word (where it will be needed). Thanks again. Hopefully I can show everyone the final thing in a couple of months.

All the best,

  Alisatir