Lego electronics

Cestria

Apr 20, 2024, 6:29:46 PMApr 20
to North East Makers
Lego has changed its robotics and electronics ranges over the years.

I am looking for a way to have Lego bricks with buttons, LEDs and sensors.

Is anyone using a specific type of Lego for this or creating their own bricks by cutting holes in normal bricks or creating ones through 3D printing?

Thanks

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 21, 2024, 4:18:04 AMApr 21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cestria,

What is it you are wanting to achieve here? How authentic do you want the LEGO parts to be?

I have made some commercial LEGO displays light up and move for some LEGO artists, but in that scenario everything visible needed to be authentic LEGO bricks, and anything out of sight could be anything. I mostly made 3D printed interconnects with a few laser cut panels to hold it all together.

All the best,

  Alistair

Iain Yarnall

Apr 21, 2024, 9:37:53 AMApr 21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I've seen a couple of examples online although maybe not quite what you're looking for.

Some really impressive bricks made from resin with tiny screens in.  Sadly I don't think they're for sale and they look fairly difficult to make.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wBrOV2FJM8

There are also lego compatible servo bricks available to buy.  e.g. https://thepihut.com/products/geekservo-lego-compatible-180-rotation-servo

I guess for buttons you could make movable lego parts with buttons concealed behind them rather than integrating them into bricks.  A bit like the buttons on a car key or other small devices.  I suppose it depends on what you're looking to do with them.

Cheers,

Iain.

Cestria

Apr 21, 2024, 12:20:17 PMApr 21
to North East Makers
Does not have to be authentic, just has to fit into other bricks.

Basically for example, I want to put a LED through a Lego 2x1 and I think the hole in the 2x1 Technic piece is not right size. So I can either take a normal 2x1 and put a hole in it or make one myself using a 3D printer (theoretically because I do not have one or understand how to use them). So it does not have to be authentic, it just has to be able to connect to other bricks. I have other things I am thinking including fitting a push button onto a Lego piece and that will need a hole to run the cables through.

Now if there are already pieces out there then I can consider that option.

Cestria

Apr 21, 2024, 12:20:19 PMApr 21
to North East Makers
ah never thought of the pi hut. I just kept checking the official Lego sites.

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 21, 2024, 5:17:12 PMApr 21
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
The hole in a Lego brick is 4.8mm and a larger LED is 5mm, but I have managed to put them in the hole before now. That is not to say that all will fit, 0.2mm is the kind of thing you could reem off the brick with a simple drill if you don't mind adapting the brick.

There are many kits and hacks out there. It all depends on what you are wanting to do as to what is best. I could not recommend the best options. I don't even know all the options.

It might be worth looking at the Brick Alley Lego user group. They are a friendly bunch and will have a lot of knowledge and experience of lighting up Lego. There is an event coming up in the Discovery Museum, but I think that will have sold out by now.

All the best,

  Alistair

Cestria

Apr 22, 2024, 4:39:21 AMApr 22
to North East Makers
Thanks all. Will have a look at these.

Brian Degger

Apr 23, 2024, 9:29:30 AMApr 23
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
It is also possible to 3d print a few pieces of Lego, even on a basic plastic extruding printer. What you have sounds like a good project, and might be good for learning 3d printing.
I printed this for a Lego microscope