Fwd: BREAKING NEWS!

JBL

Jul 23, 2021, 8:28:15 AM7/23/21
to North Central PA Forum

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pennsylvania Environmental Defense Foundation <pedf...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 22, 2021, 9:41 PM
Subject: BREAKING NEWS!
To: <ladyb...@gmail.com>

Another HUGE Win for PA's State Lands in the SUPREME COURT!
Litigating For Our Environment
"The people have a right to clean air, pure water, and to the preservation
of the natural, scenic, historic, and esthetic values of the environment.
Pennsylvania's public natural resources are the common property
of all the people including generations yet to come.
As trustee of these resources,
the Commonwealth shall conserve and maintain them
for the benefit of all the people."

Article I § 27, Pennsylvania Constitution
News
These Forests Are Yours!
after twelve years of litigation . . .
PEDF Attorney John Childe has done it again with a historic win yesterday in Pennsylvania's Supreme Court. All funds from oil and gas drilling on public lands must be used to conserve and maintain the public's natural resources and cannot be used for the General Fund. Another rock has been added to the foundation of the Environmental Amendment.
July 21, 2021: Attorney Childe stated, "The Supreme Court Opinion issued today, identified by the Court as PEDF IV, affirms our belief that all funds from the oil and gas leases, including the royalties, bonus and rental payments, are part of the public trust, and must be used to conserve and maintain the public natural resources, including our State Forest. This decision ends the four-year battle against the Governor over the use of the bonus and rental payments, which have amounted to over $500,000,000.00 over the past ten years.

"The Opinion does not mean that money must be paid back. Only going forward, it must be used for conservation purposes and not used for the General Fund.
John Childe at the Supreme Court's door 09March2016
John Childe at the Supreme Court's door
Oral Argument, March 9, 2016

"Today's Opinion finally ends the twelve-year battle PEDF has waged to stop degrading our State Forest for revenue from oil and natural gas reserves to supplement the General Fund.

​"The Supreme Court PEDF IV Opinion today reverses the decision of the Commonwealth Court finding that Article I Section 27 allows the Commonwealth to lease our State Forest for income. It reaffirms that the Commonwealth's role regarding our public natural resources is that of trustee. It reaffirms that the Commonwealth has no proprietary interest in those resources. And, it reaffirms that any decision the Commonwealth makes regarding the uses of our State Forest must be based on protecting the rights of the people to the clean air and preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and esthetic values of our public natural resources."
Read the Opinion here.
Please Help!
There is more work yet to be done, and we still need your help!

Stay tuned for updates.

PEDF is an all-volunteer organization.

To Donate, please click below.

Thank You!
PO Box 371
Camp Hill, PA 17001-0371
Pennsylvania Environmental Defense Foundation | PO Box 371, Camp Hill, PA 17001-0371
Unsubscribe ladyb...@gmail.com
Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by pedf...@gmail.com powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.