FW: Tell Your State Senator: Vote NO on SB 545

J Parana

Oct 6, 2021, 4:49:25 PM10/6/21
to north-centr...@googlegroups.com

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: PennFuture
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 1:35 PM
To: John Parana
Subject: Tell Your State Senator: Vote NO on SB 545

Dear John,

We are writing today to ask you to contact your state senator and ask them to vote against a dangerous new bill in the General Assembly that seeks to gut Pennsylvania’s Clean Streams Law, which was enacted in 1937 to protect our abundant water resources.

Specifically, Senate Bill 545 fundamentally alters current rules and regulations by handing over authority to polluters to decide if they need to report spills, discharges or releases of substances into the Commonwealth’s waterways.

Simply put, SB 545 allows polluters to pollute more without notifying anyone or without consequence and egregiously takes away our rights to know when a spill or discharge is impacting public health and local businesses. It jettisons spill reporting requirements from the experts at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), leaving our waters unprotected from serious pollution events and communities, families, and businesses uninformed of such risks.

This is unacceptable to those of us who seek to hold polluters accountable for their actions. The rules and regulations that protect our precious waterways must be strengthened and strictly enforced, not weakened and put in the hands of corporate polluters.

SB 545 is simply NOT in the best interest of Pennsylvanians, either today or in the future. It erodes water protections and gives the responsibility of reporting spills to those who caused the spill. SB 545 only benefits polluters.

Please contact your state senator today and ask them to vote NO on SB 545. Thank you.

#StandWithPennFuture

· Facebook

· Twitter

· LinkedIn

PennFuture

Contact Us

PennFuture
610 North Third Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
717.214.7920

Pennsylvania's watchdog for clean air, pure water, and a healthy climate.

www.pennfuture.org

DONATE TODAY