Discussion on animals-in-the-paranormal-world

NAPPN

Apr 18, 2010, 7:02:02 PM4/18/10
to North American Psychic and Paranormal Network
OLD NAPPN THREADS

Send Message
After experiencing many persons past and cats reactions and behaviors,
I have a new theory:

Cats have 9 lives... because a cat can host up to 9 spirits!

Have many people are living in your cat?
Send Message
My little fluff ball has at least three in there! Herself, Boo and
Gaia. Isis was found in bad circumstances at two weeks old and she's
my guide, friend, and child all in one - I even registered her as a
therapy cat to make sure no evil landlords could ever attempt to boot
her out. She came to me after my little Gaia cat passed away from
cancer. I can actually see Isis doing little things that Gaia used to
do that were so unique is beyond belief that she does them. Then years
later Boo passed away from old age and Isis started having traits from
Boo as well. It's as if Isis took them into herself so they would
still be part of her little 'circle' of family. I think fate led her
here to me and I'm more than grateful for such a gift as her. :-)
Send Message
Interesting, just found this article!

PROVIDENCE, RI - Oscar, the nursing home cat who could seemingly sense
the impending death of patients, was found dead early yesterday. The
cat gained recent notoriety when reports of his ability to detect the
impending death of the terminally ill became public. Seemingly aware
that death was at hand, Oscar would reportedly climb into the bed of
patients during their final hours. Officials at the facility would not
reveal the cause of death, but did acknowledge rumors that the cat was
becoming increasingly unpopular among the patients. One knowledgeable
source - who agreed to speak with us on the condition of anonymity -
confirmed increasing animosity toward the animal, and that a dented
bedpan was found near the body. According to our source, the recent
publicity of Oscar's unique insight spread quickly throughout the
facility. Patients in the terminal ward became increasingly upset at
the sight of the cat, prompting administrators to move Oscar to
another floor. After an unexpected death on that floor, Oscar quickly
became quite unwelcome there too. "Good riddance." said patient
Gertrude Feinman, when told of the cat's demise. "It would just sit
there and stare at you - with this look on his face like 'you're
next'". A spokesman for the home downplayed any immediate talk of foul
play. "We don't want to jump to any conclusions." said Ronald
Kitzmiller, Director of Operations at the facility. "We'll wait for
the coroner's report, and then decide if any legal action is
warranted."
Send Message
Is your dog psychic? Find out and help with animal psi research

If you've always suspected that your dog is a little more tuned in
than the average Fido, now you have a chance to prove it.

Professional researchers are conducting an experiment to determine
whether or not "psychic" dogs actually have the ability to predict
when their owners are getting ready to return home from somewhere
else. The researchers are looking for people whose dogs exhibit
telepathic talents. If your dog qualifies as a subject for the
experiment, you could eventually win a $1000 prize for successfully
participating.

More information is available at ParanormalWitness.com
www.paranormalwitness.com/Contribute-to-paranormal-research-and-stu...

In the early 1990's, Dr. Rupert Sheldrake, biologist, and former
Cambridge University fellow, completed a study to find out how many
pet owners had observed seemingly psychic abilities in their pets. The
household surveys found that 46% of dog owners had noticed this
ability in England and 45% in California. In 1998, Sheldrake published
a paper on this and further study in the Journal of the Society for
Psychical Research. The controversy that followed has inspired
researchers to replicate Sheldrake's studies and possibly prove the
point one way or another, once and for all.

If you think your dog is psychic, take a closer look at its behavior.
Have someone at home with your dog while you’re away running errands.
Then, have the person watching your dog call you on your cell phone
and tell you to come home. If your dog is tuned-in to your return trip
home you should observe them spending more time at the door or window
when you’re on your way. This is considered "anticipating behavior."

This anticipating behavior (e.g. sitting at the window, or door, or
anything else you observe) should be much more noticeable while you’re
returning home than when you were out. For example, in Sheldrake’s
experiments he found that a dog spent 80% of his time by the window
while his owner was on her way home, versus only 20% of his time by
the window while she was out running errands.

- ParanormalWitness.com

Dogs That Know: Participate

Testing Your Dog

http://www.opensourcescience.net/index.php?title=Can_Dogs_Anticipat...

Do you and your dog have a special connection? Does your dog seem to
know when you’re coming home, even at odd hours? If so, your dog might
be a good candidate for our experiment, and could earn a $1,000 prize
offered to dog owners who successfully participate.

The first step to joining the experiment is self-testing your dog to
see whether they can anticipate your intention to return home. The
easiest way to do is to have someone at home with your dog while
you’re away running errands. Then, have the person watching your dog
call you on your cell phone and tell you to come home. If your dog is
tuned-in to your return trip home you should observe them spending
more time at the door or window when you’re on your way.

This anticipating behavior (e.g. sitting at the window, or door, or
anything else you observe) should be much more noticeable when you’re
returning home than when you were out. For example, in Sheldrake’s
experiments he found that Jaytee spent 80% of his time by the window
when his owner, Pam, was on her way home, versus only 20% of his time
by the window other while she was out running errands.

Other Considerations

* Routine. Try and make sure your dog isn’t cluing into your normal
schedule. If you always come home at 5:47 pm, allow your schedule to
slip by 15 minutes and see what happens.
* Distractions. Take note of ordinary distractions (e.g. other dogs
walking by) that interrupt the normal patterns your observing.
* Hit or miss. Make sure to keep track of the times when your dog
doesn’t pick up on your trip. Recording misses is just as important as
recording hits.

For additional pitfalls to avoid take a look at these tips by Skeptic
Dr. Richard Wiseman.

Next Steps

If you and your dog make it through this first round of testing we'd
love to hear from you. Contact us, we’ll send you the equipment and
resources you need to perform more rigorous testing.

Thanks for participating and good luck.

Contact:
al...@opensourcescience.net
Send Message
My French Poodle Mandy, is my familar and ever since I can remember
she has been able to see things spirtualy before I can myself. She is
very sharp and when she does see things she stairs at it. Most dogs
and cats show alot of respect around me due to my nature. Yet its very
interesting that my dog can see things just as well as I can. She can
sence evil and good, my dog is amazing I would love to put her to the
test, I know she can do it she is an old soul I have 100% fath that
she will pass any test that I give her.
Send Message
Toads Predict, but how?

Study suggests toads can detect coming earthquakes

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer Jill Lawless, Associated
Press Writer – Wed Mar 31, 5:29 pm ET

LONDON – When it comes to predicting earthquakes, toads — warts and
all — may be an asset.

British researchers said Wednesday that they observed a mass exodus of
toads from a breeding site in Italy five days before a major tremor
struck, suggesting the amphibians may be able to sense environmental
changes, imperceptible to humans, that foretell a coming quake.

Since ancient times, anecdotes and folklore have linked unusual animal
behavior to cataclysmic events like earthquakes, but hard evidence has
been scarce. A new study by researchers from the Open University is
one of the first to document animal behavior before, during and after
an earthquake.

The scientists were studying the common toad — bufo bufo — at a
breeding colony in central Italy when they noticed a sharp decline in
the number of animals at the site. Days later, a 6.3-magnitude
earthquake hit, killing hundreds of people and badly damaging the town
of L'Aquila.

Researcher Rachel Grant said the findings suggested "that toads are
able to detect pre-seismic cues such as the release of gases and
charged particles, and use these as a form of earthquake early warning
system."

Initially puzzled by the toads' disappearance in the middle of the
breeding season, the scientists tracked the population in the days
that followed. They found that 96 percent of males — who vastly
outnumber females at breeding spots — abandoned the site, 46 miles (74
kilometers) from the quake's epicenter, five days before it struck on
April 6, 2009.

The number of toads at the site fell to zero three days before the
quake, according to the study, published in the Zoological Society of
London's Journal of Zoology.

"A day after the earthquake, they all started coming back," said
Grant, the report's lead author. "The numbers were still lower than
normal and remained low until after the last aftershock."

She said one possibility is that the animals sensed a change in the
amount of radon gas emitted by the Earth because of the buildup of
pressure prior to a quake.

Scientists also have surmised that animals may be able to detect minor
tremors imperceptible to humans, or that they sense electrical signals
emitted by rocks under stress before an earthquake.

Grant said the sense may be the result of millions of years of
evolution, a trigger that tells the toads to move to safer ground.

"An earthquake could wipe out a population in that area," she said. "A
landslide or flood could wipe out virtually 100 percent of the males,
and quite a lot of the females."

Several countries have sought to use changes in nature — mostly animal
behavior — as an early warning sign, without much success.

The city of Tokyo spent years in the 1990s researching whether catfish
behavior could be used to predict earthquakes, but abandoned the study
as inconclusive.

Roger Musson, a seismologist with the British Geological Survey, said
the problem studies like the Italian toad research lay in proving the
connection between the animal behavior and the quake.

"What happens is somebody observes some strange animal behavior then
there is an earthquake, so they link the two," said Musson. "There are
probably plenty of cases in which there is strange animal behavior and
no earthquake."

He said the new study was "another bit of data in the large pile that
has been accumulating over the years. But it's not in any shape or
form a breakthrough."