A Canadian perspective

france...@mfa.ulaval.ca

Jun 15, 2007, 7:56:36 AM6/15/07
to Normalization Process Model
Dear Carl and colleagues,

I am back in Quebec City after a visit to Europe that included the
University of Leeds in the UK. Since the official invitation by Carl
to join this group, I confess that I have taken up an "observer"
status: I read Carl's paper, emails from group members, visited the
NPM website on Google, had more than a look at your power points from
your meeting in Newcastle, tried to get a better understanding of your
on-going research, etc.

Although I have not used the NPM yet, it was intuitively attractive to
me. The type of work I have done in the past include: using agreement
between providers and patients as a study main outcome, using
multilevel analysis to capture the unique contribution of the context
to patients or providers outcomes, assessing barriers and facilitators
to the implementation of shared decision making in clinical practice
and foremost, moving away from and "adherence model" to a "decision-
making" model, etc. Most recently, we received funding from our
Canadian Institute of Health Research to study the implementation of
shared decision making in clinical practice (http://www.vrr.ulaval.ca/
bd/projet/fiche/86860.html) and to study interprofessional approaches
to shared decision making (http://www.vrr.ulaval.ca/bd/projet/fiche/
86704.html). Therefore, Carl's vision is quite attractive and helpful
in pushing forward some of these on-going reflections.

I am grateful to Glyn who introduced me to the NPM and who invited me
to reflect on how the NPM can help understand the implementation of
patients decision aids in clinical practice. I am also grateful to
Carl who invited me to join this group discussion. From the Canadian
perspective of where I stand, I agree that this group seems to
function very well. In fact, I feel you have developed a very nice
"complicity" and reached some common understanding of what the NPM is
all about. I hope at some point I can jump more actively in the group
discussion, make a valuable contribution to it and thus to the
evolution and application of the NPM in Canadian implementation
studies for complex interventions in health care.

Kind regards

France

(ps. on a more personal note to Carl: as this email was produced in
the early morning, there was no wine involved; only toasts, jam, raw
milk cheese and a lot, a lot, a lot of coffee. One suggestion: why not
adding one page to the Google group website site where we could put
our choice of wine, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cheese and most
cherished recipes)

France Légaré, MD, PhD, CCFP, FCFP
Canada Research Chair in
Implementation of Shared Decision Making in Primary Care
Associate Professor
Department of Family Medicine, Université Laval
Québec, Québec
Canada
G1K 7P4
téléphone: 418 525-4437
télécopieur: 418 525-4194
courriel: france...@mfa.ulaval.ca
http://www.vrr.ulaval.ca/bd/chercheur/fiche/533183.html

France Légaré

Jun 15, 2007, 11:39:23 AM6/15/07
to Normalization Process Model
Please forget about last email.This was a mistake.
France