Comments welcome

Carl May

Jun 27, 2007, 10:00:18 AM6/27/07
to Normalization Process Model
Colleagues,

I've taken the liberty of uploading a paper that may interest you and
about which I would welcome critical comments. Essentially this paper
sets out a discussion of the process of model building as well as a
description of the NPM. One or two of you may recognise it as a very
expanded version of the paper that I did not give at our telecare
meeting in Newcastle back in March.

The paper is intended for an academic nursing journal and I have
written it in this form because there are important debates in nursing
studies at the moment about the relationship between what they call
qualitative meta-synthesis and the development of theory in nursing.
Much of this writing is at a very general (and sometimes very mad)
level and it occurred to me that a real example might help move things
along a little.

Please don't circulate the paper beyond this group.

Best, Carl

Pauline Ong

Jun 27, 2007, 10:13:24 AM6/27/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carl,
Thanks for this. I'll try to have a look at the paper a.s.a.p.
BW
Pauline

--
Pauline B.N.Ong
Professor of Health Services Research

Pauline Ong

Jul 5, 2007, 7:09:12 AM7/5/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carl,
As always, your work is a pleasure to read and stimulates the mind. I
think this piece is an important contribution to the discussions within
nursing circles. In the introduction you clearly set out the issue of
how the dominant approach in nursing studies can engage with the rise of
the outcomes based approach in a robust theory-based way. The discussion
of the NPM is pithy, but sufficient and provides a good route into the
discussion of model-building. It is important that you have connected
the technical and procedural approach that nursing academics prefer to
use to areas of substantive theoretical interest within health services
research (pp.8-9). Your point about substantive theory at the end of
section 2 will 'hook' the readers as it highlights the relevance of
theory to social issues. Section 3 is an elegant exposition of theory
building, and the importance of making explicit the dynamic between
procedures and the intellectual embeddedness of how the process unfolds
within personal and institutional contexts. I do not think that you need
to change a single word!
Best wishes,
Pauline

Carl May

Jul 5, 2007, 7:17:53 PM7/5/07
to Normalization Process Model

Pauline

Thank you very much for these kind words... perhaps the reviewer for
JAN will take the same view (but I doubt it!).

Carl