MacFarlane, Anne

May 24, 2007, 9:27:37 AM5/24/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com

…I am signed up without any pain or hassle – an IT first for me!

Anne

Anne MacFarlane, Ph.D

Lecturer in Primary Care

Department of General Practice

No. 1 Distillery Road

National University of Ireland, Galway

Tel: ++ 353 91 495194

Fax: ++ 353 91 495558

e-mail anne.ma...@nuigalway.ie

MacFarlane, Anne

May 24, 2007, 9:32:01 AM5/24/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com

Hello all from a rainy Galway! As Carl mentioned, we have had a bit of correspondence about the distinction between the constructs of the NPM as processes and qualities. This is the e-mail I sent Carl earlier today with my thoughts. Looking forward to yours….

Morning Carl, thanks for this. As ever, stimulating to think about this….

I like the new attention to processes involved in normalization and the qualities of the ‘thing’ itself. My understanding of this distinction would be that the work that e.g. patients and professionals do to communicate with each other via video conferencing is a process of work. Their satisfaction/acceptance of this work and the extent to which it becomes routine for them would indicate the likelihood that the specific complex intervention has the ‘quality’ of high or low interactional workability….Correct?

However, I find I have questions about the terms suggested for process and I imagine that

(a this is because they have arisen from extensive discussions at your meeting and are based on shared understanding of those at the meeting (and I wasn’t there!)

(b there is no manual (yet!) to explain and unpack the terms further to wider audiences

The questions I would ask of these terms are as follows:

‘operationalisation’ of what? Operationalisation is a broad term that could potentially refer to operationalisation of the whole of a planned complex intervention. What is its specific meaning here and how does it relate to issues of the interaction, communication, agreements about ease of these issues?

Mediation…guess this would be about mediation of knowledge and practice about existing workflows and relationships, negotiations around who has knowledge for what and how it is to be used and so on.

Distribution…okay, this one is easier too, distribution of labour within a network of actors

Incorporation…the link between this term and my understanding of contextual integration isn’t clear. Is this about incorporation of a complex intervention into a whole organization? What is the value of using incorporation rather than ‘integration’?

To sum up: the idea of distingushing between processes and qualities is great. The terms suggested to describe processes seem to me to add a layer of ‘complication’ that the model does not need if it is to be used by wider audiences.

Could the process terms be extended to describe the work that is undertaken in the process of achieving the 4 qualities?

Could the terminology be taken from the current draft of the BIomed central paper to ensure consistency and avoid adding more terminology that is potentially hard for others to decipher?

So e.g. BioMed Central paper Version 009, page 16, Box 3 ‘Propositions about endogenous factors of the model’ pt 1 re interactional workability reads ‘how does a complex intervention affect the interaction between patients and professionals and professionals and professionals?’

Could this be adapted further to the present purpose of describing the process leading to the quality of interactional workability along the lines of:

Work undertaken by professionals and patients to interact with each other in an agreed manner….???

Finally, thanks for setting up the mailing list. It’s a great idea.

All the best,

Anne

May 28, 2007, 9:48:57 AM5/28/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I sent a reply to Carl a week or so ago saying that I supported making a distinction between process and qualities but Anne's and Glyn's emails have made me think again. I'm less sure now that we should emphasise this distinction, particularly if it means adding new terms. Both Anne and Glyn mentioned that new terms may increase confusion I'm inclined to agree.

If we think about interactional workability, the Box in the NPM 009 paper begins with:

Interactional Workability - how does a complex intervention affect the interaction between patients and professionals, and professionals and professionals?

A complex intervention is disposed to normalisation if it helps patients and professionals to successfully accomplish congruence and disposal of work when they interact

The first bit of this ('how does..') talks about interaction and I reckon this suggests an activity, or series of activities that take place between individuals. The second bit talks more about measurement, especially since the rest of the box is given over to examples of what congruence and disposal are. These measurements attempt to capture some of what goes on in the first bit of the box ('how does..').

So, to contradict my earlier email to Carl, I'd now support Anne's/Glyn's idea of not adding an extra layer of terminology and use the existing text of the NPM 009 draft as far as possible. Anne suggested one way of changing the 'how does..' bit but I'm inclined to take a lazier approach and change nothing. The way the box is set up now says that one series of activities related to normalisation is (for example) Interactional workability but our attempts to capture the effects of the complex intervention on these activities use what we call congruence and disposal of work. The measurable thing is not interactional workability but congruence and disposal of work.

In short, I've convinced myself that 'Interactional workability' is the right (and more conceptual) term for the activities we are interested in but what we measure to capture our effects on interactional workability is congruence and disposal of work. I think this is somewhat in the direction of Glyn's email: one term is conceptual, the other(s) more quantifiable. The difference is that I think we have the terms already.

I'm not sure if this helps anyone else but I feel better for it.

Cheers,

Shaun

Shaun Treweek
Research Fellow
Tayside Centre for General Practice
University of Dundee, UK

Researcher
Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services, Norway

Contact details:
Tayside Centre for General Practice
University of Dundee
Kirsty Semple Way
Dundee DD2 4BF
UK

Skype: streweek
Mob: +44 777 901 6955

On 24 May 2007, at 15:32, MacFarlane, Anne wrote:

[...]

May 28, 2007, 11:14:22 AM5/28/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com

Folks

Thanks to Shaun, Glyn, Anne, Frances, Luciana, Tim for their thoughtful
comments on this question. The growing consensus is that we should leave
the constructs as they are - and not divide between process and quality.
We may revisit this down the line when we have the papers from the first
wave of empirical studies. That won't be long, I suspect.

How are people finding the newsgroup as a way of woprking through these
questions? Is it working for you?

Best, Carl

Professor Carl May
Institute of Health and Society
Newcastle University
21 Claremont Place
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 4AA
United Kingdom

__________________

Shaun Treweek

May 28, 2007, 11:29:33 AM5/28/07
to Normalization Process Model
Hi Carl,

The newsgroup works fine for me; I like the fact that all the
discussions are in one place. I've just noticed that I can't upload
documents using my normal (Mac) browser but I can switch to another
browser should I need to do that.

Cheers,

Shaun

On May 28, 5:14 pm, "C R May" <c.r....@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> Folks
>
> Thanks to Shaun, Glyn, Anne, Frances, Luciana, Tim for their thoughtful
> comments on this question. The growing consensus is that we should leave
> the constructs as they are - and not divide between process and quality.
> We may revisit this down the line when we have the papers from the first
> wave of empirical studies. That won't be long, I suspect.
>
> How are people finding the newsgroup as a way of woprking through these
> questions? Is it working for you?
>
> Best, Carl
>
> Professor Carl May
> Institute of Health and Society
> Newcastle University
> 21 Claremont Place
> Newcastle upon Tyne
> NE2 4AA
> United Kingdom
>
> www.ncl.ac.uk/ihs/research/healthhuman/
>
> Tel + 44 (0)191 222 5591
> Fax + 44 (0) 191 222 6043

> Email c.r....@ncl.ac.uk

Linda Gask

May 28, 2007, 11:58:25 AM5/28/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com
Yes- I haven't contributed much- but as I am trying to write something at present using the model the discussion is stimulating if unfortunately adding to my conceptual brainstorm. I think it indicates further discussion is necessary when there is more empirical data.

Linda

Ballini Luciana

May 29, 2007, 2:00:08 AM5/29/07
to normalization...@googlegroups.com
Hello there, it works very well for me too and I am also carrying on with my "thought experiments", as Carl would elegantly put it, hoping to get down to some real experiments soon.
All the best
luciana

I'm singed in now also. It's also a first for me.