Price of Nordic Ruby

Patrik Stenmark

Nov 19, 2009, 4:47:50 AM11/19/09
to Nordic Ruby
Hi everyone!

Is the plan still to keep Nordic Ruby a conference one could attend
without selling their firstborn to be able to afford? :)

I'm really looking forward to it, but most conferences are way to
expensive for a student like me. Even with their student prices the
fee is usually more than 100 USD, which is way too much for most
students.

Regards
Patrik Stenmark

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Nov 19, 2009, 5:18:35 PM11/19/09
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
I think the price will be around EUR 300, but that depends on what kind of sponsorship we get. We might have some kind of student scholarship though. Stay tuned.

/ CJ

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Nov 19, 2009, 5:22:14 PM11/19/09
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
I think the price will be around EUR 300, but that depends on what kind of sponsorship we get. We might have some kind of student scholarship though. Stay tuned.

/ CJ

grimen

Jan 12, 2010, 1:38:58 PM1/12/10
to Nordic Ruby
Yea, agreed. I really would like to participate, but as a student (and
startup:er) 300 EUR is not "scalable".

Btw,isthere any rebate for "talkers"; I would be interested to hold a
talk, but depends on what experience is required. Know a lot about
Ruby, but never held a tech-talk in public before. =)

cheers

grimen

http://github.com/grimen

On Nov 19 2009, 10:47 am, Patrik Stenmark <patrik.stenm...@gmail.com>

chrisco

Jan 13, 2010, 4:10:01 AM1/13/10
to Nordic Ruby
Even for non-students, 300 EUR is not cheap. Would be nice if it
could trend lower (heavy sponsorship sales)/

Magnus Holm

Jan 13, 2010, 4:29:26 AM1/13/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
And what about us who are not considered students yet (under 18)?

// Magnus Holm

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Jan 13, 2010, 6:59:54 AM1/13/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
I realise that 300 EUR is a lot of money for many people. However, that is the cost of the venue, food, parties, etc. that is planned for the conference. There is no way to lower the price without a lot of help from sponsors.

Finding sponsors has been hard in this economic climate, so if you know anyone who might be interested in sponsoring, please let me know.

/ CJ

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Jan 13, 2010, 7:01:10 AM1/13/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 12, 2010, at 19:38, grimen wrote:

> Btw,isthere any rebate for "talkers"; I would be interested to hold a
> talk, but depends on what experience is required. Know a lot about
> Ruby, but never held a tech-talk in public before. =)
>
> cheers
>
> grimen

Speakers of course don't have to pay anything. We will open up a call for proposals as soon as the site is launched, which should be later this week.

/ CJ

Jack Nutting

Jan 13, 2010, 7:47:03 AM1/13/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
While everyone's at it, can I try to get a senior citizen's discount? :P

--
// jack "greybeard"
// http://www.nuthole.com

Patrik Stenmark

Jan 15, 2010, 9:02:57 AM1/15/10
to nordicruby
Is there any need for people to help during the conference? I might be
interested in helping out behind the scenes in different ways,
especially if it makes the conference more affordable :)

/Patrik

eLabs

Jan 18, 2010, 5:22:32 AM1/18/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrik!

Thanks for the offer!
Unfortunately can't we give you a discount. The registration price is
"at cost", meaning that any discounts we give has to come straight out
of our own pocket.

/Lilly

Mikael Åhlén

Feb 24, 2010, 8:43:12 AM2/24/10
to Nordic Ruby
How is the price plan today? Still € 300?

Today it seems to be more interesting to visit Frozen rails in Finland
because they have rails-core developers and only cost € 99 or € 59 for
students.

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Feb 24, 2010, 9:07:19 AM2/24/10
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the price will be a bit higher than € 300. We are still talking with potential sponsors, hoping that they can help us bring the price down.

Frozen Rails has a great price, but it's a very different event from Nordic Ruby. First of all, Frozen Rails is only one day, while Nordic Ruby is two days. Nordic Ruby also includes a welcoming reception and a great dinner and party, where all the speakers and attendees get a chance to hang out and have fun. From my experience from other conferences that have done this, such as Future Ruby and BizConf (both which were much more expensive), this is the best part of the conference.

We've decided to make Nordic Ruby a really high end event. Unfortunately that means that it's too expensive for some people, students especially. We can't please everyone. Luckily, there are other great options such as Scottish Ruby Conference (which I'm going to), Frozen Rails and Euruko. There's something for everyone.

/ CJ

Marcus Ahnve

Feb 24, 2010, 10:49:29 AM2/24/10
to Carl-Johan Kihlbom, nordi...@googlegroups.com