Sponsor Ideas

1 view

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Sep 7, 2008, 2:39:40 PM9/7/08
to Nordic Rails
First of all, if you haven't already read the first post in this
group, read that first: http://groups.google.com/group/nordicrails/browse_thread/thread/b20786890cb815b6

Now... I had a discussion with Albert Ramstedt today about possible
sponsors for the conference, and I thought I should continue it here.
First of all, some ideas for companies who might be interested in
sponsoring the conference:

* ThoughtWorks, just opened a Swedish branch with Ola Bini and Marcus
Ahnve.
* Sun Microsystems, which includes...
* MySQL
* Engine Yard, has some European presence and always seem eager to
help out. Talked to them in Berlin, great gang.

That's just some companies of the top of my head. Any more ideas?
Maybe some local companies with an interest in Rails?

It would also be interesting to discuss what benefits we can provide
sponsors with. Ads on web site and in the programme are given I think.
What else? Ads on tshirts? Booths in an exhibit hall? Short sessions
to deliver their pitches to the attendees?

Let me know what you think.

/ CJ

Jarkko Laine

Sep 9, 2008, 1:16:49 AM9/9/08
to Nordic Rails
On Sep 7, 9:39 pm, Carl-Johan Kihlbom <kihl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's just some companies of the top of my head. Any more ideas?
> Maybe some local companies with an interest in Rails?

Of larger companies I know at least Logica, CapGemini and Digia (even
TietoEnator from what I heard) have some stake in the Ruby world and
are currently dying to hire good developers.

> It would also be interesting to discuss what benefits we can provide
> sponsors with. Ads on web site and in the programme are given I think.
> What else? Ads on tshirts? Booths in an exhibit hall? Short sessions
> to deliver their pitches to the attendees?

I think the session thing is a slippery slope and should be reserved
for only the biggest sponsor (if they insist :). In pretty much all
the conferences I've attended to people have pretty despised the paid
keynotes and either skipped them or just thought they got on their
way. Nick's talk in Berlin was a fresh exception, mainly because he
already had a strong foothold in the community and he didn't really
talk about Sun (at all) but himself.

I think booths are important for them because that's a way for them to
get into direct contact with devs. Ads on the t-shirt? Nah, not
necessarily, annoys the hell out of people, compared to the benefit.
Maybe one small ad there for the company that pays for the shirts.

//jarkko

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Sep 9, 2008, 2:34:14 AM9/9/08
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 9, 2008, at 07:16, Jarkko Laine wrote:

> On Sep 7, 9:39 pm, Carl-Johan Kihlbom <kihl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's just some companies of the top of my head. Any more ideas?
>> Maybe some local companies with an interest in Rails?
>
> Of larger companies I know at least Logica, CapGemini and Digia (even
> TietoEnator from what I heard) have some stake in the Ruby world and
> are currently dying to hire good developers.

Good ideas. Does anyone know people who work at any of these companies
who might be able to help?

>> It would also be interesting to discuss what benefits we can provide
>> sponsors with. Ads on web site and in the programme are given I
>> think.
>> What else? Ads on tshirts? Booths in an exhibit hall? Short sessions
>> to deliver their pitches to the attendees?
>
> I think the session thing is a slippery slope and should be reserved
> for only the biggest sponsor (if they insist :). In pretty much all
> the conferences I've attended to people have pretty despised the paid
> keynotes and either skipped them or just thought they got on their
> way. Nick's talk in Berlin was a fresh exception, mainly because he
> already had a strong foothold in the community and he didn't really
> talk about Sun (at all) but himself.
>
> I think booths are important for them because that's a way for them to
> get into direct contact with devs. Ads on the t-shirt? Nah, not
> necessarily, annoys the hell out of people, compared to the benefit.
> Maybe one small ad there for the company that pays for the shirts.

Agreed. The key is finding a balance between attendee annoyance and
sponsor benefits. But I'm all for keeping it simple.

/ CJ