Work day or weekend?

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Sep 9, 2008, 6:23:35 PM9/9/08
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
We're just about 4 months away from January and I think we should try
to set a date and book a venue as soon as possible. A part of that
decision is whether to hold the conference during work days (like
RailsConf Europe) or a weekend (like MerbCamp).

Both choices have their pros and cons, here are some of them:

Work days:
+ People will probably rather sacrifice work time than free time
+ If in connection to a weekend, people can spend some extra time
touristing in the conference city

Weekend:
+ Companies are more likely to send their employees to the conference
since they don't lose work time
+ Might be easier to find a venue?

What are your thoughts?

/ CJ

Jonas Nicklas

Sep 9, 2008, 7:20:11 PM9/9/08
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
Since you mentioned RunAn as a possible venue, I doubt that we'd be able to book that during the week. Also I think there might be enthusiasts who don't necessarily work with ruby, who'd like to attend, it would be easier for these people to come on a weekend.

/Jonas

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Sep 10, 2008, 3:00:41 AM9/10/08
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Carl-Johan Kihlbom <kih...@gmail.com> wrote:
A part of that decision is whether to hold the conference during work days (like
RailsConf Europe) or a weekend (like MerbCamp).

What are your thoughts?

I'd prefer it to happen on weekdays myself, but I realize for a lot of potential attendees Ruby is still a part-time joy - making it difficult to get time off to attend a conference. The Rubyfools happenings, however, were on weekdays, and that didn't seem to keep people from attending.

A somewhat hybrid solution could be having the event at the end of a work week. It seems Rubyconf does this, this year's Rubyconf seems to start on a thursday and run through to saturday. Could friday-saturday be a viable solution?

--
Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
Rubyist, Fatguy AS

Reinventing stuff
http://fatguy.no

Carl-Johan Kihlbom

Sep 10, 2008, 3:45:01 AM9/10/08
to nordi...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 10, 2008, at 09:00, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen wrote:

> A somewhat hybrid solution could be having the event at the end of a
> work week. It seems Rubyconf does this, this year's Rubyconf seems
> to start on a thursday and run through to saturday. Could friday-
> saturday be a viable solution?

Yeah, that might be a nice compromise. Good idea.

oc

Sep 10, 2008, 12:42:44 PM9/10/08
to Nordic Ruby
+1 for weekend or friday-saturday