Exciting opportunity, apologies for cross-posting
I would appreciate if you could kindly circulate, on behalf of my colleague Luc Pauwels and myself, the following information.
It is a funded PhD offer in the field of Visual Culture at the Dept. of Communication Studies (University of Antwerp) within a project entitled ‘Cultural Displays and Encounters in Globalizing Urban Areas’.
The Visual Studies and Media Culture Research Group (ViSMeC) of the University of Antwerp seeks a
Full-time Researcher/PhD student with an interest in Visual Urban Culture
for the FWO-project: ‘Cultural Displays and Encounters in Globalizing Urban Areas’
This project proposes to interrogate the visual dimensions of globalization and acculturation processes (and their opposite forces) as expressed in material culture elements of a varied nature, as well as through visible and recordable aspects of human behavior in urban public spaces. It aims to enrich and complement the more abstract discourses on globalization and transnationalism with empirically grounded insights regarding concrete expressions and enactments of cultural encounters in urban environments. At the same time it will develop and test a fine grained and innovative methodology for researching visual expressions of cultural change and identity in the urban context.
Profile and requirements:
• A master degree in Sociology, Anthropology, Communication Studies, Urban Studies, Social and Cultural Geography (or any other degree relevant to the project).
• A strong interest in and/or prior experience with visual methods (visual data production and analysis).
• Strong analytic and conceptual skills.
• Good English language skills.
• Ability to carve out an original PhD project in the broad confines of the FWO project.
• Master students in their final year may also apply.
• A research position/ doctoral scholarship for a period of one year, with the possibility of three renewals for one year after positive evaluation (so four years in total to complete a PhD).
• A dynamic and stimulating work environment of experienced visual scholars, post docs and PhD candidates.
• A very competitive gross monthly salary of minimally € 2.124,11 (= approx. € 1.860 net income).
The position can be filled as of 1 October 2013
How to apply?
• Send a CV, a motivation letter (1 page), some preliminary ideas for a PhD project about visual urban culture (min. 3 pages), and one proof of your writing skills (paper, article or thesis) to Prof. Luc Pauwels (luc.p...@ua.ac.be) or Prof. Paolo Favero (paolo....@ua.ac.be), preferably before August 15, 2013.
• A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The next step will involve an interview (possibly via Skype) and a number of practical assignments.
The University of Antwerp strives to contribute to an open, democratic and multi-cultural society. We are a family friendly environment and follow an equal-opportunities policy.
Film Studies and Visual Culture
Department of Communication Studies
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
University of Antwerp