Noor installed in Windows XP!!!

zabeeh khan

Feb 22, 2008, 8:12:26 AM2/22/08
to noor-dev

Assalam alaikum brothers,
I installed Noor in my Windows XP computer and it works fine but it has got some problems...

1: It doesn't display the Arabic text of the holy Qur'an but displays unreadable signs instead of the original letters. When I copied the signs from the app to notepad they are changed to the original Arabic text of the holy Qur'an.

This message is given in the CLI mode (running back the noor GTK):

c:\.........\zabeehkhan\desktop\noor-0.8\noorgtk.py:360: PangoWarning: couldn't load font "MS Shell Dlg Not-Rotated 8", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 8", expect ugly output.
  self.dialog.show_all()

I hope there is something like to fix it...

2: The texts "Please Choose a Surah" and "Choose" are shown in very small font size??? I can read them but they should be a little bigger.

Ali Gholami Rudi

Feb 22, 2008, 11:16:41 AM2/22/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 22 2008 16:42 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Assalam alaikum brothers,
> I installed Noor in my Windows XP computer and it works fine but it has got
> some problems...
>
> 1: It doesn't display the Arabic text of the holy Qur'an but displays
> unreadable signs instead of the original letters. When I copied the signs from
> the app to notepad they are changed to the original Arabic text of the holy
> Qur'an.
>
> This message is given in the CLI mode (running back the noor GTK):
>
> c:\.........\zabeehkhan\desktop\noor-0.8\noorgtk.py:360: PangoWarning: couldn't
> load font "MS Shell Dlg Not-Rotated 8", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 8",
> expect ugly output.
> self.dialog.show_all()

You probably have to change your font. You can change the default
font in your ~/.noor file (in windows ~ is probably the parent of My
Documents folder; the default .noor file is created automatically,
search for it)::

[gtk]
font = my_font size
translation_font = my_translation_font size

Replace my_font, my_translation_font and size with what you like.

> I hope there is something like to fix it...
>
> 2: The texts "Please Choose a Surah" and "Choose" are shown in very small font
> size??? I can read them but they should be a little bigger.

I'm not sure but I think the font specified in your .noor will be used
here, too.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Feb 23, 2008, 7:14:53 AM2/23/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

It worked...

but the surah menu is still not displaying the letters correctly...???

And this problem still exists:

Ali Gholami Rudi

Feb 23, 2008, 10:47:23 AM2/23/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 23 2008 15:44 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> It worked...
>
> but the surah menu is still not displaying the letters correctly...???
>
> And this problem still exists:
>
>> 2: The texts "Please Choose a Surah" and "Choose" are shown in very small
> font
>> size??? I can read them but they should be a little bigger.

I changed the dialogs to use gtk.font; maybe I should add
gtk.dialog_font? (I could not change sura names in the combo-box; do you
know how to do that?).

By the way, you can get the latest noor from::

http://noor.sf.net/hg/noor

if you have mercurial; otherwise you can get the latest snapshot from:

http://noor.sf.net/hg/noor/archive/tip.tar.gz

If you want a feature and want to implement it yourself, I'll be happy
to apply your patches ;-)

Also, I have started adding i18n support; I'll let you know when it's
ready.

Regards,
Ali

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 4, 2008, 6:32:54 AM3/4/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 23 2008 19:17 +0330, Ali Gholami Rudi wrote:
> Also, I have started adding i18n support; I'll let you know when it's
> ready.

I've added basic i18n support. Also I've added Farsi translation.
Get ``noor.pot`` from ``noor/locale/noor.pot`` (for accessing the
source code see my last mail). If you want to translate it to another
language you can give me a ``.po`` file by changing ``noor.pot``.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 5, 2008, 8:22:24 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Assalam alaikum brother,
I am so sorry brother. I wanted to reply you soon but I had forgot. I had

already written the text to send to you but forgot to send it so sorry.
==========
Great to hear about the i18n support. I have translated it to Pashto and have

attached its file with this mail.

Language info:

Complete language name: Pashto
ISO 639-1 short form: ps
ISO 639-2 short form: pas

The mail which I wanted to send you that time was something like this:
=====================

I will send that text in my next email because I want to search it that where

have I saved it!! - just don't remember???!!!

=====================

...And can you tell me brother how to change the language of Noor?

noorpashto.po

zabeeh khan

Mar 5, 2008, 8:26:57 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
this was the text:...................

===================================

Assalam alaikum,
Brother I just reinstalled Windows XP in my computer and installed everything again. I then tested Noor, the 0.8 version, it is just perfect. It doesn't have any problem the surah names, the Quran's Arabic text, just everything is being displayed correctly. It doesn't have any problem. Brother I am so sorry..I am sorry for informing you before checking my Windows. So I hope you will not mind that and just ignore the discussion we had.....I will try to write a note on how to install Noor in Windows!..

Brother Please don't mind that??!! I will try my best to contribute to the Noor project as much as I can.

Just one request from you brother...
As you know Noor will be used by people all around the world so the screenshots should also be for international users?? I know you love your language, I just respect your language but we should provide screenshots in English so that everyone can understand it??

I have asked the UbuntuME mailing list to add Noor to ubuntuME and they are adding it in the next release (8.04 - March) Insha'Allah.

www.ubuntume.com - for more info!

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 5, 2008, 9:05:41 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 05 2008 16:52 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Assalam alaikum brother,
> I am so sorry brother. I wanted to reply you soon but I had forgot. I had
>
> already written the text to send to you but forgot to send it so sorry.
> ==========
> Great to hear about the i18n support. I have translated it to Pashto and have
>
> attached its file with this mail.
>
> Language info:
>
> Complete language name: Pashto
> ISO 639-1 short form: ps
> ISO 639-2 short form: pas

Added. Thanks.

But would you check it? I think the ':' and '?' signs appear on the
wrong place.

Regards,
Ali

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 5, 2008, 9:12:54 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 05 2008 16:56 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Brother I just reinstalled Windows XP in my computer and installed everything
> again. I then tested Noor, the 0.8 version, it is just perfect. It doesn't have
> any problem the surah names, the Quran's Arabic text, just everything is being
> displayed correctly. It doesn't have any problem. Brother I am so sorry..I am
> sorry for informing you before checking my Windows. So I hope you will not mind
> that and just ignore the discussion we had.....I will try to write a note on
> how to install Noor in Windows!..

I think it is better now. It uses translation font for dialogs and
arabic font for sura names. So it was an improvement :-)

> Brother Please don't mind that??!! I will try my best to contribute to the Noor
> project as much as I can.

Happy to hear that and you're welcome :-)

> Just one request from you brother...
> As you know Noor will be used by people all around the world so the screenshots
> should also be for international users?? I know you love your language, I just
> respect your language but we should provide screenshots in English so that
> everyone can understand it??

Sorry about it. I thought there were some screenshots with english
translation (maybe it is in freshmeat page;
http://freshmeat.net/projects/noor). If you like send you're own
screenshots to include in the homepage.

> I have asked the UbuntuME mailing list to add Noor to ubuntuME and they are
> adding it in the next release (8.04 - March) Insha'Allah.

Happy to hear that.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 5, 2008, 9:48:37 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 5, 2008, 11:09:08 AM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 05 2008 18:18 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> can you tell me brother how to change the language of Noor?

I don't know on Windows; maybe there is something like "languages and
..." in control panel. In linux, you can set LANG environment
variable. For instance you can do something like::

$ LANG=ps noorgtk.py

Note that the ``.mo`` files are not included in the repository. The
setup script generates them if they don't exist (but they will be
included in the distribution). If ``msgfmt`` command (setup.py uses
it to make ``.mo`` files) is not available in your computer, I'll
attach them for you.

By the way, I've updated screenshots page.

Regards,
Ali

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 5, 2008, 1:44:25 PM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 05 2008 19:39 +0330, Ali Gholami Rudi wrote:
> On Mar 05 2008 18:18 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
>> can you tell me brother how to change the language of Noor?
>
> I don't know on Windows; maybe there is something like "languages and
> ..." in control panel. In linux, you can set LANG environment
> variable. For instance you can do something like::
>
> $ LANG=ps noorgtk.py

I've added ``common.lang`` config, so you can set the language by
editing ``~/.noor`` file::

[common]
lang = ps

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 5, 2008, 9:58:45 PM3/5/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you brother.

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 8, 2008, 1:47:01 AM3/8/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 06 2008 06:28 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Thank you brother.

I've changed noorhtml and noorcgi to use gettext. I've updated Farsi
translation. If you like, you can update Pashto as well.

Regards,
Ali