A post about Noor in a Urdu forum

Zabeeh Khan

Sep 16, 2009, 2:53:13 AM9/16/09
to noor-dev

أحمد المحمودي

Sep 16, 2009, 3:06:49 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
as-salamu alaykom,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:53:13AM +0500, Zabeeh Khan wrote:
> Just came across the page:
>
> http://www.urducoder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238&p=1355

---end quoted text---

I don't know Urdu !

--
‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer

Zabeeh Khan

Sep 16, 2009, 3:40:07 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Walaikum Assalam

There is nothing special written in that page bro. They have just
written about the software and how to install it and use it. I just
wanted to share it with everyone here, cause I wanted to say that it
is being widely used.

Ali Gholami Rudi

Sep 16, 2009, 9:09:01 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Assalamu-alaikum,

Zabeeh Khan <zabee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just came across the page:
>
> http://www.urducoder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238&p=1355

Thanks for the link :-)

Currently I mostly use cnoor (a much faster, simplified version of noor
written in C; it has two interfaces, one using GTK+ and one using pango
on framebuffer). But I guess no one is using it; it is not user
friendly at all ;-)

Ali

Zabeeh Khan

Sep 16, 2009, 9:10:46 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Is it released? let us try it.. :)

Ali Gholami Rudi

Sep 16, 2009, 9:35:50 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Zabeeh Khan <zabee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it released? let us try it.. :)

Yes. I've released 0.1 but it is too old.
See http://noor.sf.net/cnoor.html
The git repository holds the lastest sources. Follow the link in the
homepage to get the snapshot. But cnoor is intentionally fast and user
unfriendly ;-) Edit config.h before compiling to change the fonts and
to specify file paths.

There are a few branches:

* master: the base version
* index: indexes holy Quran and the translation files for faster startup
* mark: adds mark support; mx and 'x commands (for GTK+ backend)
* suraname: shows sura name (for GTK+ backend)
* fbpan: framebuffer pango interface; uses pango to render text and
draws it on the framebuffer

I clone the master branch and merge index and fbpan branches into it.
But probably few people prefer cnoor over noor; I have written it since
noor was too slow for my slow PC. Hope someone finds it useful :-)

Ali

Zabeeh Khan

Sep 16, 2009, 9:47:13 AM9/16/09
to noor...@googlegroups.com
OK. I will see it Insha'Allah.

And yeah, alternatives are good. I think we should also consider
developing a PyQt4 user interface for noor.