noor 0.8.1 released

1 view

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 13, 2008, 12:19:25 AM3/13/08
to noor-dev

Noor 0.8.1 was released. You can get it from:
http://sf.net/projects/noor/files

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 16, 2008, 10:23:36 AM3/16/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Assalam alaikum brother...hope you are fine!
Thank you so much for the release..it is just great!!!

I have updated the Pashto file to translate the new strings and have attached it to this email...

noor.po

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 16, 2008, 12:44:23 PM3/16/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 16 2008 17:53 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Assalam alaikum brother...hope you are fine!

Alaykum assalam.

> Thank you so much for the release..it is just great!!!
>
> I have updated the Pashto file to translate the new strings and have attached
> it to this email...

Thanks. Updated the repo.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 20, 2008, 12:55:36 AM3/20/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Assalam alaikum brother,
Hope you are fine and doing well. Congratulations on New Year...

I have updated the Pashto translation file please upload that in the...
Sorry for sending it again and again but I noticed that some signs were

being displayed incorrecly. So I fixed them and is

attached...Insha'Allah final.

...And what do you think about adding buttons in the noorgtk for the

Surah and Aya dialogs and others that come by keyboard shortcuts? It is

a little hard to remember all the keys. We should have both the options,

buttons and keyboard shortcuts. I think we should add buttons for them???

noor.po

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 23, 2008, 5:41:09 PM3/23/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 20 2008 08:25 +0330, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Assalam alaikum brother,
> Hope you are fine and doing well. Congratulations on New Year...

Thanks. Sorry about the late reply; I was on a trip.

> I have updated the Pashto translation file please upload that in the...
> Sorry for sending it again and again but I noticed that some signs were
>
> being displayed incorrecly. So I fixed them and is
>
> attached...Insha'Allah final.

Thanks. I've updated it. Also I'll always be happy to receive any
updates :-)

> ...And what do you think about adding buttons in the noorgtk for the
>
> Surah and Aya dialogs and others that come by keyboard shortcuts? It is
>
> a little hard to remember all the keys. We should have both the options,
>
> buttons and keyboard shortcuts. I think we should add buttons for them???

I'll try to add an optional toolbar. But I don't have much experience
in gtk applications so it might take some time. I'll give it a try
tomorrow, Insha'Allah.

Regards,
Ali

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 25, 2008, 4:39:16 AM3/25/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

* I've added an optional toolbar and an optional status bar
* Translations are out-dated. I've updated Farsi translation
* Added contrib/generate_translations.py for generating .mo files
manually, if msgfmt is available

Does it work for you?

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 25, 2008, 10:02:57 AM3/25/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
I will try it and tell you...

zabeeh khan

Mar 25, 2008, 10:02:02 PM3/25/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Brother, It is just great. The program is improving day by day..Insha'Allah we will have a perfect

software very soon. It is just great..the toolbar, the statusbar. Masha'Allah. Very good brother.

If you could try to add icons with the buttons, it would become so great. Just add examplary icons , if you can. If you were successful, I can send you beautiful icons for them.

...updated the file. attached!!

noor.po

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 26, 2008, 12:12:38 AM3/26/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 26 2008 06:32 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Brother, It is just great. The program is improving day by day..Insha'Allah we
> will have a perfect

Insha'Allah

> software very soon. It is just great..the toolbar, the statusbar. Masha'Allah.
> Very good brother.
>
> If you could try to add icons with the buttons, it would become so great. Just
> add examplary icons , if you can. If you were successful, I can send you
> beautiful icons for them.

I never had good taste for UI matters. I don't know where to find
icons and which to select. But adding icons seems to be trivial. So
if you send me icons I'll add them.

> ...updated the file. attached!!

Thanks. Updated. Also I've added a new quit button. That needs
adding one line to noor.po files.

Regards,
Ali

Qudratullah Khan

Mar 26, 2008, 1:58:20 AM3/26/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
As salam Alaikum,
Can anyone tell me how to install Noor in my Windows XP computer??

Thank you,
Qudratullah Khan

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 26, 2008, 2:25:05 AM3/26/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 26 2008 10:28 +0430, Qudratullah Khan wrote:
> As salam Alaikum,

Alaikumassalam

> Can anyone tell me how to install Noor in my Windows XP computer??

Zabeeh Khan has installed noor on Windows; I think he can help.

Regards,
Ali

Qudratullah Khan

Mar 26, 2008, 11:55:06 PM3/26/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
ok. please help me zabeehkhan??

--
Thank you,
Qudratullah Khan

zabeeh khan

Mar 27, 2008, 3:06:41 AM3/27/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
OK..I will send you the instructions soon...today.

zabeeh khan

Mar 27, 2008, 3:06:55 AM3/27/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Assalam alaikum brother,
I found four icons for next aya, previous aya, next surah and previous surah. I

think they are good to be used. If they are not good and suitable then we can use

the icons of Zekr or some others.

zabeeh khan

Mar 27, 2008, 3:07:23 AM3/27/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Oh......for got to attach the .zip file.
icons.zip

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 27, 2008, 4:41:49 AM3/27/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 27 2008 11:37 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Oh......for got to attach the .zip file.

I've added them. You can use gtk.toolbar_style to set toolbar style;
it can be text, icons or both.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 27, 2008, 10:23:19 PM3/27/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
Great

zabeeh khan

Mar 28, 2008, 10:45:19 AM3/28/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Assalam alaikum brother,
The icons which I had sent you were not transparent. I have made them transparent so now there is now white background in the icons and just takes the color of the toolbar. I have also edited the Noorgtk somewhat. I think it looks nice this way. I removed some of the buttons and reordered them.
Just commit it to the repository. I am working on something other too. I will tell you about that if I was able to do it. If I was not able to do it.....

Don't think of anything..that I have removed some buttons, etc. until I complete what I am doing.

icons.zip
noorgtk.py

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 28, 2008, 12:49:20 PM3/28/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 28 2008 19:15 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Assalam alaikum brother,
> The icons which I had sent you were not transparent. I have made them
> transparent so now there is now white background in the icons and just takes
> the color of the toolbar. I have also edited the Noorgtk somewhat. I think it
> looks nice this way. I removed some of the buttons and reordered them.
> Just commit it to the repository. I am working on something other too. I will
> tell you about that if I was able to do it. If I was not able to do it.....

Applied. Thanks.

> Don't think of anything..that I have removed some buttons, etc. until I
> complete what I am doing.

If you use mercurial, would you send the output ``hg export`` after
committing changes? That way your name and your commit message will
appear in repo logs.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 30, 2008, 5:30:20 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

A few comments about the .noor file:

# should noor use arabic aya numbers
#arabic_numbers = 1

should be changed to:

# should Noor use Hindi aya numbers
#hindi_numbers = 1

because the numbers which are called here as Arabic are Hindi. The default ones (12345) are Arabic and (۱۲۳۴۵) are Hindi..hope you understood. For more info, Google for it...

# the language to use
#lang = en

Should be:

# the language to use. currently en, ps, fa, ar
#lang = en

That's all brother....
==================================

The new Noorgtk and icons are attached.

==================================

Brother I am thinking about adding a menubar to Noor. I tried to do it, but I was not able to.

Brother can you add a Menubar to it having two menus and each menu having atleast two menuitems. Name the menus and the items whatever you want and then commit it to the repository. I will download it and edit them..??

icons.zip
noorgtk.py

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 30, 2008, 7:34:31 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 30 2008 14:00 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> A few comments about the .noor file:
>
> # should noor use arabic aya numbers
> #arabic_numbers = 1
>
> should be changed to:
>
> # should Noor use Hindi aya numbers
> #hindi_numbers = 1
>
> because the numbers which are called here as Arabic are Hindi. The default ones
> (12345) are Arabic and (۱۲۳۴۵) are Hindi..hope you understood. For more info,
> Google for it...

I'm not much familiar with language evolutions, but as far as I know,
Hindi language invented literals for decimal number representation
(digits?) which is different from unicode glyphs. The glyphs used for
Hindu numbers ("DEVANAGARI DIGIT ZERO" till "DEVANAGARI DIGIT NINE")
have a similar but different form from glyphs used for Arabic numbers
("ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO" till "ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT NINE"); The same
is true for Latin, Persian and ... .

Maybe we can add "indic_numbers" as an alias?

> # the language to use
> #lang = en
>
> Should be:
>
> # the language to use. currently en, ps, fa, ar
> #lang = en

Done.

> The new Noorgtk and icons are attached.

Applied. Thanks.

> Brother can you add a Menubar to it having two menus and each menu having
> atleast two menuitems. Name the menus and the items whatever you want and then
> commit it to the repository. I will download it and edit them..??

I'll try to.

If you use mercurial would you use it to make patches? Sending the
output ``hg export``, will preserve your name and commit message in
repo logs.

Regards,
Ali

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 30, 2008, 8:20:51 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 30 2008 14:00 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Brother can you add a Menubar to it having two menus and each menu having
> atleast two menuitems. Name the menus and the items whatever you want and then
> commit it to the repository. I will download it and edit them..??

I've added a menu bar.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 30, 2008, 8:21:37 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
I've added a menu bar.

Thank you so much brother.

I'm not much familiar with language evolutions, but as far as I know,
Hindi language invented literals for decimal number representation
(digits?) which is different from unicode glyphs.  The glyphs used for
Hindu numbers ("DEVANAGARI DIGIT ZERO" till "DEVANAGARI DIGIT NINE")
have a similar but different form from glyphs used for Arabic numbers
("ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO" till "ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT NINE"); The same
is true for Latin, Persian and ... .

Brother Microsoft also uses the names Hindi and Arabic. And that is what really is.... But still that's your choice??

If you use mercurial would you use it to make patches?  Sending the
output ``hg export``, will preserve your name and commit message in
repo logs.

I don't use mercurial. I even don't know what mercurial is!! Any link for info??

zabeeh khan

Mar 30, 2008, 9:04:20 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Brother the new noorgtk is attached. I want you to make the "go to" in the "View" menu a submenu.

The "go to" should become a submenu and should have a few items. I tried to do it but was not able to do it. Please do it brother and commit the file.

noorgtk.py

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 30, 2008, 9:39:21 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 30 2008 16:51 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> I've added a menu bar.
>
> Thank you so much brother.
>

> I'm not much familiar with language evolutions, but as far as I know,
> Hindi language invented literals for decimal number representation
> (digits?) which is different from unicode glyphs. The glyphs used for
> Hindu numbers ("DEVANAGARI DIGIT ZERO" till "DEVANAGARI DIGIT NINE")
> have a similar but different form from glyphs used for Arabic numbers
> ("ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO" till "ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT NINE"); The same
> is true for Latin, Persian and ... .
>
> Brother Microsoft also uses the names Hindi and Arabic. And that is what really
> is.... But still that's your choice??

Have a look at the attached file. All of the digit sets have
similarities. Correct me if I'm wrong. Decimal digits were first
used by (an old form of?) written Hindi language. This form has been
imported by other Languages. And Latin digits are variations Hindi
digits indirectly through Arabic ones. So in this sense both Latin
and Arabic digits have Hindi roots. So I think using "hindi_numbers"
is ambiguous or means using "DEVANAGARI DIGIT ..." digits (the first
group in the attached file) which is different from the digits used in
Arabic Quran prints.

> If you use mercurial would you use it to make patches? Sending the
> output ``hg export``, will preserve your name and commit message in
> repo logs.
>
> I don't use mercurial. I even don't know what mercurial is!! Any link for
> info??

It's a version control system. See http://www.selenic.com/mercurial
for more information. Forget it, if you prefer not to use it.

Regards,
Ali

digits.txt

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 30, 2008, 10:24:56 AM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Submenus are supported now.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 30, 2008, 12:38:07 PM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Brother see the new attached noorgtk.py....

I have added some items in the "Go to" submenu and all of them work properly. Only three items in view and help menu doesn't work. In the help menu the "About" button doesn't work. And in the view menu "Reload and Random Aya" doesn't work. I think they are easy to be implemented and I think you can do it?

I have also attached the new set of icons.

In the menus I have used icons but they are not displayed. It needs style coding please do it.

=====================================
After finishing everything, as always, just commit the new noorgtk to the repo

noorgtk.py
icons.zip

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 30, 2008, 4:40:05 PM3/30/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 30 2008 21:08 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> Brother see the new attached noorgtk.py....
>
> I have added some items in the "Go to" submenu and all of them work properly.
> Only three items in view and help menu doesn't work. In the help menu the
> "About" button doesn't work. And in the view menu "Reload and Random Aya"
> doesn't work. I think they are easy to be implemented and I think you can do
> it?

What should reload do? Currently it goes to the current aya.

> I have also attached the new set of icons.

Thanks. Updated.

> In the menus I have used icons but they are not displayed. It needs style
> coding please do it.

Done.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 31, 2008, 2:30:15 AM3/31/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
it should reload the current sura

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 31, 2008, 4:00:39 AM3/31/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 31 2008 11:00 +0430, zabeeh khan wrote:
> it should reload the current sura

It was added (I don't see any use case for it, though).

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 31, 2008, 4:23:25 AM3/31/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Brother I used 13Xalmost13 pixel icons for menus and 16x16 for toolbar. It just looks great. I have

also added text to the about dialog, check it. And the reload command should reload the aya not

sura. It already reloads the current aya so no change needed. Please commit this noorgtk to the repo

along with the new set of icons. The icons.zip file includes all the icons. So please delete any

previous icons and don't mix them together. Just use these icons.

noorgtk.py
icons.zip

Ali Gholami Rudi

Mar 31, 2008, 6:39:13 AM3/31/08
to noor...@googlegroups.com

Updated. Thanks. By the way, sending diffs might be more efficient.

Regards,
Ali

zabeeh khan

Mar 31, 2008, 9:33:10 AM3/31/08