Does "Go" mean "Stop" for Noop?

Ian

Nov 12, 2009, 1:55:20 AM11/12/09
to Noop
After an initial burst of activity it seems to have gone deathly quiet
in this group. Does the announcement of the new Google language Go
impact upon Noop in any way? Does this mean that the development of
Noop will now not go ahead - or are the two languages intended for
quite different purposes?

Wilson MacGyver

Nov 12, 2009, 10:00:07 AM11/12/09
to no...@googlegroups.com
Noop, unlike Go is not an official language/project from google.
according to http://code.google.com/p/noop/

Iqbal Yusuf Dipu

Nov 12, 2009, 12:26:38 PM11/12/09
to Noop
How NOOP and GO are similar or different?

Thanks

Iqbal

Christian Edward Gruber

Nov 12, 2009, 2:47:04 PM11/12/09
to no...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

On Nov 12, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Iqbal Yusuf Dipu wrote:
> How NOOP and GO are similar or different?
>
> Thanks

These are just my own thoughts, not any official word from the noop
project...

Go probably connects more closely with C, and Noop probably connects
more closely to Java, conceptually and stylistically, though Go is a
departure to be sure.

Go is intended to be a systems programming language, whereas most of
us involved with Noop come from an applications development background.

Noop's priorities are slightly different, though emotionally similar.
But we hope to remove boilerplate, encourage testability and
modularity while discouraging programming styles that make that harder.

Go is also a much more directed and focused project at this point, and
has been around longer (though was in stealth-mode for a while). Noop
has been recently silent, because we all have day jobs. :) We're
still working on things, but it's not a staffed project at google with
official sponsorship. But we have some goals that are coalescing, at
least for parts of the noop project.

Also remember, we got a lot of feedback from the proposals, and it
takes time to digest and adapt our thinking in light of all that
participation.

cheers,
Christian.

Alex Eagle

Nov 13, 2009, 11:10:26 AM11/13/09
to Noop
I posted a reply yesterday but groups seems to have done something
with my message other than post it :(

We're glad for the Go team that they're launched, but it doesn't have
an impact on Noop. I'm friends with one of the Go compiler guys and I
hope we can continue to help each other.

As Christian says, Go has an engineering staff, it's designed as a
system language to replace C/C++, it compiles directly to machine
code, it's already in a working state, and it was developed closed-
source. Noop, on the other hand, is just a 20% effort and so it will
take a long time before it's in a working state, it's oriented towards
projects that fit the enterprise-y Java use case, will compile to JVM
bytecode, and is being developed open-source to begin with.

Even in philosophy, I think Go is looking to make development faster
and more enjoyable, as dynamic languages have, while Noop is trying to
optimize the maintainability of the code. So we're bound to make
different decisions.

I haven't done anything with Go, so I'm no expert, but we feel there
isn't much overlap between them, and we're not stopping :)
-Alex

On Nov 12, 11:47 am, Christian Edward Gruber

Wilson MacGyver

Nov 13, 2009, 11:49:48 AM11/13/09
to no...@googlegroups.com
Alex, I meant to tell you, your reply went directly to me instead to the list.
I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. Apparently, not so much, :)

Christian Edward Gruber

Nov 13, 2009, 1:05:39 PM11/13/09
to no...@googlegroups.com
It's just that our free time function these days is a no-op. ;-)

Christian.