Constraints imply type inference?

1 view

Ian Rogers

Jan 19, 2010, 8:33:25 AM1/19/10
to noop
Hi,

I thought this post on X10 would be interesting for people here:
http://tr.im/KSzU [1]

X10 is a language that originally was Java inspired but since version
1.5 has been adopting Scala syntax. Notable features of X10 are that
it has parallelism constructs similar to what OpenMP provides for
C/C++, but in the context of Java, objects have a notion of their
place so that programs can be distributed over clusters and use
message passing (runtime out-of-place exceptions catch when the
programmer got it wrong), exceptions are tree-like as multiple
exceptions can occur in parallel. X10 was originally developed to run
on the JVM.

My interest in Noop came from wanting to make more things explicit, in
particular I believe we under specify immutability. The message above
explains why not specifying things allows the compiler to infer and do
a better job than the programmer. I think it is an interesting point
in the should Noop be more like Scala debate.

Regards,
Ian
[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=OF1917566B.E32908BD-ON852576A6.0007CA46-852576A6.000916B7%40us.ibm.com