[CEE2.0] Meet the M1K!

Ian Daniher

Nov 21, 2014, 8:53:19 AM11/21/14
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I've been exercising considerable fortitude in breaking myself of the "release early / release often" mindset I cultivated with Nonolith, but I'm delighted to be able to announce the next-generation CEE, the ADALM1000, available (soon!) from Analog Devices.

A great group from Analog Devices offered me a home to continue my work on affordable tools for analog exploration, and I jumped at the opportunity. The M1K is the first product of my effort with ADI, a two-channel USB analog interface device offering voltage and current measurement and control. To skip the generic introduction, it represents a significant improvement upon the hardware with which you're all acquainted, featuring 16b data converters with a maximum rate of 250KSPS over the CEE's ~12b converters, a faster microcontroller, and a lower noise / higher speed analog frontend.

The (fairly sparse) page at wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m1k is serving as a table of contents for the material available on the device. I'm focusing heavily on expanding the written material, user guides, and design documentation associated with the hardware platform. Kevin is hard at work on Pixelpulse2, supporting both CEE and the M1K hardware platforms.

Everything's open. Everything's improving. Lots of excitement!

Those of you interested in taking the plunge and joining the beta program should reply on-list with your ambitions for the new hardware. I'll drop you a message off-list when the next round of preproduction units are in with details.

Best Regards!
--
Ian Daniher

Dan Steingart

Nov 22, 2014, 12:46:42 PM11/22/14
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
Looks fantastic!  Any sense of a release date from AD?

Thanks,

Dan

James Cameron

Nov 23, 2014, 5:41:00 PM11/23/14
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
Looks nice. I've been using the CEE for a while. My ambitions for
the new hardware:

- get it working with the OLPC XO laptop and write it up on our Wiki,

- verify charging algorithms for a LiPoly battery module,

And in my spare time while not stomping on an invading army of ants:

- experiment with ultrasonic interference effects on ant trails; they
are already attracted by vibrating inductors in switchers!

Feature request: isolation. The shared ground has bit me once or twice.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Jasper

Dec 4, 2014, 1:53:15 PM12/4/14
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

I would be interested in trying out the new version. Mostly for characterising LEDs, both as as light bulb and photodiode. Also I would like to try some low frequency coil impedance measurements for PCB coils.

Best regards,

Jasper

Chris Holt

Feb 9, 2015, 12:31:43 PM2/9/15
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
Awesome to hear!  Very cool that you were able to take the project into a monster company like Analog Devices.  They make great stuff.  I will definitely be playing with your new product when it launches.  Can the channels be hooked up in parallel for 400mA or upgraded like the old CEE with different current sense resistors and an external supply?  I am using the device for driving a tiny heater and the more current the better for my application.

Very excited to see where your project is going!

Cheers,
Chris

John Hull

Jun 8, 2015, 6:13:29 PM6/8/15
to nonoli...@googlegroups.com
I've used the CEE and my wish list is a much lower current force and measure range - around 1uA is close to enough. I want to do semiconductor characterization. I didn't look at it, but the Python interface is welcome.I'm not sure how many channels I need - probably two.

Nice work - John