Venue [was Re: [nc-comm] Re: Intent of the group]

1 view

Kingsly John

Nov 3, 2010, 4:04:35 PM11/3/10
to nonameconf...@googlegroups.com
+++ Ramdas S [2010-11-03 08:25:35]:

> I was looking at the web site, and I get an impression that the
> organisers are keen to have the conference soon, but are worried
> about the financial aspects of the conference.

Our primary concern isn't the financial aspect, but rather landing a good
venue, because the one we have blocked can't scale up too well.

> I know for sure that PESIT, RVCE, MSRIT are all keen to host a general
> conference on Linux and FOSS, which means the venue and the
> infrastructure will come in free, well almost at least.

If there is anyone on this list from these colleges/institutions or can
introduce us to the responsible people there. Please contact us via email
<team at nonameconf dot in>

> Then why do you need sponsors? If you charge Rs 100 a day for food, ,
> you can manage a 2 day conference for Rs 200 and a 3 day conference
> for Rs 300.

We said pretty much the same thing without numbers :-)

From http://blog.nonameconf.in/we-need-your-help

<cite>
The good news is we don't need a lot of money to make the event happen.
(Theoretically we could make it happen just on gate collections.) But having
more sponsors means we can have a better event, can afford to bring in out of
town speakers, etc. and of course lower cost to the individual members of the
community.
</cite>

It's just that we want to be sure that we did our very best. We don't want to
settle for a "good enough" event, if pushing a little harder gives us a
"great" event.

> What I would appeal to the organisers and thought leaders behind the
> conference is to make it something that appeals to all.

When we started out our primary goal was for everyone organising and
attending the event to have fun. The scope/scale of the event is definitely
going to be bigger than what we had in mind then, but our goal still remains
the same.

We aren't here to present a pre-packaged event. The closest thing to "thought
leaders" in this case are the participants, the organising team is primarily
going to try and strike a balance/bridge the gap between what the community
wants and what resources we get from the community to provide for them.

Kingsly

Kenneth Gonsalves

Nov 4, 2010, 1:31:51 AM11/4/10
On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 01:34 +0530, Kingsly John wrote:
> Our primary concern isn't the financial aspect,

could you clarify who the organisers are - I see a bunch of IRC nicks on
the website, but apart from kingslyj, I do not have a clue as to who
they are - put real names and descriptions of what they do - it is more
professional.
--
regards
KG

Kingsly John

Nov 4, 2010, 2:13:02 AM11/4/10
to nonameconf...@googlegroups.com
+++ Kenneth Gonsalves [2010-11-04 11:01:51]:

> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 01:34 +0530, Kingsly John wrote:
> > Our primary concern isn't the financial aspect,
>
> could you clarify who the organisers are - I see a bunch of IRC nicks on
> the website, but apart from kingslyj, I do not have a clue as to who
> they are - put real names and descriptions of what they do - it is more
> professional.

Yes, the final event website will have them.

Nitpick, those are twitter and not IRC handles, we put them there since the
event was announced on Twitter and we were mainly counting on friends and
FOAFs on twitter to support the "small" event we had in mind to be held on a
weekend mid-December 2010.

We obviously underestimated both the network effort of twitter and the demand
for such an event in the community.

We are ramping up now and with your support, will hopefully still make the
event happen around our original dates.

Kingsly