Introductions

Noe Valley, SF

Jul 21, 2009, 3:38:34 AM7/21/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
Very cool to see so many people already joining this list!! It's been
great reading through the bios you've all sent, but we realized that
they don't post to the group. Please use this thread to introduce
yourself (copy what you wrote before if you'd like).

Us? We edit the Noe Valley, SF blog. We've set up (and will promote)
this group as a service to the neighborhood. And of course to learn
about what grows here. :)

Sam

Jul 21, 2009, 2:19:36 PM7/21/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
Hi All!

I'm Sam, and I live in a third floor walk up at Church and 30th. This
means I have zero gardening space, minus the windowsill behind my
apartment which overlooks the dogpark! and has limited direct sun - I
try really hard to keep my herbs (they live on the washingmachine,
currently), but that's about it. I grew up in New Hampshire with a big
vegetable garden, so this is a little bit tragic. No tomatoes, no
zucchini, no lemons, sigh.

What I can do is use your produce in exchange for giving you back a
large portion of it cooked in some delectable form - I write a food
blog
www.thesecondlunch.com and have a great kitchen with fun tools and
gadgets.

I also work part time at Omnivore Books on Food (Church and Cesar
Chavez), and I'd be more than willing to give advice on cooking, food
books, etc.

Shameless plug and request: In other news, I'm looking for a Le
Creuset pot... (without having to buy one... even at outlet prices the
tax on those things...) - does anyone happen to have one lying around
or know their great aunt Sue has one that she no longer uses because
they are too heavy for a normal person to wash everyday? I'd be up for
barter/trade/ or really even just borrowing would be fantastic.

Felicia

Jul 21, 2009, 8:12:19 PM7/21/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
I'm Felicia and I've got a large vege garden in my back yard. I'm
looking to exchange my zucchini (which is just starting to come in)
for Meyer Lemons (I like to make lemon preserves) or maybe green
peppers. Sorry Sam, but I have been cooking zucchini (I just made
some great zucchini pie), but want to expand my repertoire.

Felicia

On Jul 21, 12:38 am, "Noe Valley, SF" <noevalleyedit...@gmail.com>

Caroline Lowry

Jul 22, 2009, 9:59:31 AM7/22/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
hi i'm caroline over at 28th and church. i don't have a garden
here in noe but do have one up in forestville. i'll be overloaded with
tomatoes, lettuce, chard, plums and apples soon. i'd be happy
to bring some of the bounty home for an exchange.
-caroline

CW

Jul 22, 2009, 12:03:24 PM7/22/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
Hello, I'm Chris, have a small plot in our backyard growing chard,
kale, beans, spinach carrots, cucumber and meyer lemons. Felicia - how
many lemons are you looking for? We have a small tree about a month
away from producing, but our neighbor has a very large tree that she
never harvests. I'm sure I can get my hands on some, let me know.

Felicia

Jul 22, 2009, 1:14:59 PM7/22/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
Chris, Caroline:
Would be happy to have you over for some zucchini, with a forward
option on some Meyer Lemons, plums and apples. The zucchini need a
few more days for the next batch, and then there will be more a few
weeks out. Also have heirloom tomatoes in, but not sure if they'll
produce. How do you want to approach this? I've never done it
before. I can harvest usually 4-6 zucchini (a small basketful) and
wouldn't mind a small basketful in return (maybe 4-6 fruit in return),
if you think that is fair.

Felicia

Caroline Lowry

Jul 23, 2009, 3:43:07 PM7/23/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
hi felicia and everyone else

i won't have much to swap for a bit it seems. the apples are still
not ready and there aren't tons of plums yet. i'm not sure what kind
they are, they are about an inch in diameter and start out yellow
green
but are turning a lovely bright red now. probably good for jam or
baking,
the last one tasted a bit mealy. i think a trade of 4-6 sounds great,
more
plums of course as they are teeny! i'll keep you informed of the goods
on my end, i'm up in forestville now for a few days.

-caroline

Felicia

Jul 24, 2009, 1:45:49 PM7/24/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
I'd be happy to trade for the apples in the fall; I love to make apple
sauce. what type are they?
Felicia
> > Felicia- Hide quoted text -

murphstahoe

Aug 1, 2009, 8:51:58 PM8/1/09
to Noe Valley Exchange

Hi -

I'm John Murphy and I live in Noe Valley with wife Jill and son Liam.
There's too much fog and wind here
for my capabilities so here I only have some basil plants and a plum
tree (prunes) which is coming into
it's own, and a few lonely arugula plants. Certainly I'll have some
prunes to trade. We made jam with them
last year and it was excellent. I ate one today, I don't think they
are quite ready yet - not sweet enough.

But we also have land in Healdsburg which is loaded, and I will always
return with goodies which I can
trade. I have 10 tomato plants which are loaded, sunburst squash,
green beans, peppers, and many fruit trees.
Asian Pears and figs are the most common surplus items. And copious
amounts of mint.

Thing is we rent the place out and so we are only up to harvest once
or twice a month. The weather there is
so good for growing that even with such intermittent care the plants
produce like crazy.

John murphstahoe

Felicia

Aug 2, 2009, 3:12:01 PM8/2/09
to Noe Valley Exchange
John:
What I wouldn't do for some asian pears and figs to make some jam!
I've got a garden in Noe Valley; another batch of zucchini should be
in in about 1-2 weeks. Interested in a trade (or a forward option)?
Felicia (I'm on 28th)

Saif

Aug 21, 2009, 2:29:51 PM8/21/09
to Noe Valley Exchange, katheri...@gmail.com
Hello everyone!

I'm Saif, and my partner Kate and I have recently moved here (Duncan
St. and Dolores) from Seattle. We rent and the landlord pointed out
that we have a meyer lemon tree in the back.

We've already exchanged a bag of lemons for using someone orbital
sander for a house project! I love this aspect of community!

We'd like know our neighborhood, meet our neighbors, share from our
lemon tree, and learn from everyones knowledge. I know that we would
eventually like to start growing other things, but just don't know
where to start!

-saif