Node v0.1.90

r...@tinyclouds.org

Apr 9, 2010, 8:09:21 PM4/9/10
to nodejs
2010.04.09, Version 0.1.90

* Merge writing of networking system (net2)
- New Buffer object for binary data.
- Support UNIX sockets, Pipes
- Uniform stream API
- Currently no SSL
- Legacy modules can be accessed at 'http_old' and 'tcp_old'

* Replace udns with c-ares. (Krishna Rajendran)

* New documentation system using Markdown and Ronn
(Tim Caswell, Micheil Smith)

* Better idle-time GC

* Countless small bug fixes.

* Upgrade V8 to 2.2.X, WAF 1.5.15

Download: http://nodejs.org/dist/node-v0.1.90.tar.gz

Documentation: http://nodejs.org/api.html

Website: http://nodejs.org/

Aaron Heckmann

Apr 9, 2010, 9:26:14 PM4/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Ryan. What are the goals for vs 0.2.0?

> --

Sent from my mobile device

Aaron

billywhizz

Apr 10, 2010, 12:44:11 AM4/10/10
to nodejs
hey ryan. thanks for the new release. is there a reason there is no
ssl? is it a big deal to add it back in? i need it for some stuff i am
testing so don't mind hacking on restoring it if it's not a massive
job...

Elijah Insua

Apr 10, 2010, 2:44:34 AM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
hey ryan. thanks for the new release. is there a reason there is no
ssl? is it a big deal to add it back in? i need it for some stuff i am
testing so don't mind hacking on restoring it if it's not a massive
job...

I think the idea is to move to a userland lib, specifically Openssl.  I'm not sure how much work has been done..

-- Elijah

Stephen Belanger

Apr 10, 2010, 3:25:02 AM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The OpenSSL license is not GPL-compatible, hence it's removal. GnuTLS or NSS are popular alternatives, but none are quite so simple to use as OpenSSL, sadly. :(

Marco Rogers

Apr 10, 2010, 3:28:16 AM4/10/10
to nodejs
Good release. Generally faster and uses less memory in some scenarios
I'm testing. A question though. So process.stdio is now
process.stdout. That's fine, but why no process.stderr? Especially
since child processes get their own stdout and stderr.

:Marco

Elijah Insua

Apr 10, 2010, 3:56:21 AM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Stephen Belanger <cyruz...@gmail.com> wrote:
The OpenSSL license is not GPL-compatible, hence it's removal. GnuTLS or NSS are popular alternatives, but none are quite so simple to use as OpenSSL, sadly. :(

We were using Gnutls before, right?

Stephen Belanger

Apr 10, 2010, 4:35:43 AM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I think it's still in there, but maybe it's only partially implemented. I haven't looked at the c++ source in awhile.

jon

Apr 10, 2010, 9:09:13 AM4/10/10
to nodejs
HTTPS was previously implemented with gnutls, and can still be used
via the 'http_old' module. Currently works for me. :)

On Apr 10, 9:35 am, Stephen Belanger <cyruzdr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's still in there, but maybe it's only partially implemented. I
> haven't looked at the c++ source in awhile.
>
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Elijah Insua <tmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Stephen Belanger <cyruzdr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> The OpenSSL license is not GPL-compatible, hence it's removal. GnuTLS or
> >> NSS are popular alternatives, but none are quite so simple to use as
> >> OpenSSL, sadly. :(
>
> > We were using Gnutls before, right?
>
> >  --

> > nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com<nodejs%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

r...@tinyclouds.org

Apr 10, 2010, 1:17:29 PM4/10/10
to nodejs
Please update http://wiki.github.com/ry/node/library-compatibility
with your software if you make it work on v0.1.90.

r...@tinyclouds.org

Apr 10, 2010, 1:18:19 PM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Aaron Heckmann <aaron.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome Ryan. What are the goals for vs 0.2.0?

Get OpenSSL in, bug fixes.

r...@tinyclouds.org

Apr 10, 2010, 1:20:13 PM4/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM, billywhizz <apjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey ryan. thanks for the new release. is there a reason there is no
> ssl? is it a big deal to add it back in? i need it for some stuff i am
> testing so don't mind hacking on restoring it if it's not a massive
> job...

Two options

1) You can use the development branch, which has no documentation
http://github.com/ry/node/tree/openssl

or

2) You can use the old code, which is still in the tree
require('http_old') or require('tcp_old')

Tim Caswell

Apr 10, 2010, 8:42:12 PM4/10/10
to nodejs

Eric Fong

Apr 10, 2010, 11:58:22 PM4/10/10
to nodejs
Hi

It seems that it is much slower when I play with the hello world
example.
ab -n 10000 -c 100 http://127.0.0.1:8000/
give me:
Server Software:
Server Hostname: 127.0.0.1
Server Port: 8000

Document Path: /
Document Length: 12 bytes

Concurrency Level: 100
Time taken for tests: 200.379 seconds
Complete requests: 10000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 760000 bytes
HTML transferred: 120000 bytes
Requests per second: 49.91 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 2003.787 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 20.038 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)
Transfer rate: 3.70 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 1 0.7 0 6
Processing: 2000 2003 4.6 2001 2081
Waiting: 2000 2002 4.5 2001 2081
Total: 2000 2003 4.9 2002 2082
WARNING: The median and mean for the initial connection time are not
within a normal deviation
These results are probably not that reliable.

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 2002
66% 2003
75% 2003
80% 2003
90% 2005
95% 2009
98% 2016
99% 2018
100% 2082 (longest request)

I can hit over 6000 Requests per second for v0.1.33 with the same
machine.
So sad about that.

Any program with my machine (a new Mac Book 13.3inch white one)?

Eric Fong

r...@tinyclouds.org

Apr 11, 2010, 2:21:06 AM4/11/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Eric Fong <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems that it is much slower when I play with the hello world
> example.
> [...]

> Time per request:       2003.787 [ms] (mean)

Are you sure you're not running the example with the 2 second delay?

Eric Fong

Apr 11, 2010, 10:50:59 PM4/11/10
to nodejs
Hi