WebSockets in V8

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Oct 12, 2011, 9:13:31 PM10/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As far as I understand V8 has it's own implementation of WS,
can someone explain whether it can be use in a Node app
and how? I do understand that it would probably be only
compatible with Chrome, nevertheless, it would be good to
find out a bit more on this...

Regards,
--
Ilya

Hsu Ping Feng

Oct 12, 2011, 10:24:26 PM10/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure but I don't think V8 team will implement a WS functionality in V8 engine. It's simply not a javascript engine's business. Maybe it's a part of Chromium. I think.

It's not hard to implement WS in node. But we already have Socket.IO.

2011/10/13 Ilya Dmitrichenko <errorde...@gmail.com>

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

AUFKLÄRUNG ist der Ausgang des Menschen aus seiner selbstverschuldeten Unmündigkeit. Unmündigkeit ist das Unvermögen, sich seines Verstandes ohne Leitung eines anderen zu bedienen. Selbstverschuldet ist diese Unmündigkeit, wenn die Ursache derselben nicht am Mangel des Verstandes, sondern der Entschließung und des Mutes liegt, sich seiner ohne Leitung eines andern zu bedienen. Sapere aude! Habe Mut, dich deines eigenen Verstandes zu bedienen! ist also der Wahlspruch der Aufklärung.

Micheil Smith

Oct 12, 2011, 10:35:36 PM10/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Please, go read the spec, then Socket.io's code, and then come back to me on that.

On 13 Oct 2011, at 03:24, Hsu Ping Feng wrote:

> It's not hard to implement WS in node. But we already have Socket.IO.

– Micheil.

Micheil Smith

Oct 12, 2011, 10:40:20 PM10/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ilya,

V8 doesn't actually have an implementation of WebSockets, this is actually
in WebKit / Chromium.

The most up-to-date module that is just websockets is:

https://github.com/Worlize/WebSocket-Node

However, this only supports one of the drafts, when in reality you need to
support about 5 drafts. There are many efforts in order to do this, Socket.io
does partially implement all the drafts.

Another (combined) effort is node-websocket-protocol (and then by extension
all other websocket servers and clients). However, that project is still very
much just a pipe dream.

Regards,
Micheil Smith
--
node-websocket-server author / pusher.com developer

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Oct 13, 2011, 3:23:50 AM10/13/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for so many answers guys, I just wasn't quite sure and thoguth
that v8 may as well contain the interface between the os and the browser
and some libs, well I see that you are saying it doesn't do any of that!
As I said, I am aware of how many specs are floating around.

Regards,
--
Ilya