NodeBox for OpenGL good for AXR?

Miro Keller

Mar 7, 2011, 10:06:04 AM3/7/11
to nodebox-f...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys:

My name is Miro Keller and I am the author of the AXR Project (read about it here: http://axr.vg ). I am starting with the development of the prototype and I'm exploring available technologies to use in the project. It probably will be written in Python, using the Expat XML parser (with Python bindings) and a custom HSS parser (obviously). For the graphics, it seems NodeBox fits the bill rather well, but I'd love to hear the opinion of someone more familiarized with it. ¿Do you think NodeBox for OpenGL will be a good fit for AXR?

Many thanks!
Miro

Miro Keller
Veo Design
C/ Carnicer 20, 3º 10
28039 Madrid
+34 91 53 52 534

Tom De Smedt

Mar 9, 2011, 11:40:23 AM3/9/11
to NodeBox for OpenGL
Hi Miro,

I think NOGL may be useful to you as a prototyping tool in the earlier
stages of your project, i.e., to test and validate the output of your
HSS parser). Advantages:
- It is BSD and open source, so your are free to use/bundle it as you
see fit.
- It is a Python project so it can be integrated with your code.
- It is fairly easy to use, so you can focus on development of your
own project.

However, in a later stage you will probably want to switch to a more
robust solution.
I'm thinking in terms of that you want to develop a new browser:
- NOGL is currently not OpenGL ES-ready, which would be problematic
with hand-held devices.
- Since it is written in Python, there are performance limitations.
Ideally you'd want a fast rendering engine in C/C++. You could have a
look at Processing (Java, via Jython) or OpenSceneGraph (C++, via
PyOSG).

Hope that helps!

Best,
Tom