Credentials Encryption comments and questions

Mike Blackstock

Jul 28, 2016, 1:16:06 PM7/28/16
to Node-RED
I had a look at the design doc on the wiki https://github.com/node-red/node-red/wiki/Design%3A-Encryption-of-credentials

We have the need to provide the credentialsSecret on startup or run time.  Nick let me know that can easily be done by setting the credentialsSecret in settings to something like:  process.env.MY_CREDENTIAL_SECRET which is great.

Is this a common enough use case to be mentioned in the design document specifically?  The doc seems to imply that the secret will be typically near the encrypted credentials.

Also, if passing in the secret at startup or run time will be a common use case to avoid keeping it near the credentials file, perhaps the key can be provided using an API call to the run time?  Perhaps we can settle on an environment variable that is used (if its set) (e.g. NODE_RED_SECRET).  This could be used by the docker image perhaps.

Also, just wondering if anyone has started on the storage plug in that will implement this?  I made some changes to the existing module in this area on a fork and would like to see how far off we are.  I'm hoping to leverage your work of course, and contribute if I can.

Thanks!
Mike

Nicholas O'Leary

Jul 29, 2016, 10:59:18 AM7/29/16
to Node-RED Mailing List
Hi Mike,

good suggestions - will update the design doc.

From an implementation point of view, this all needs to exist above the storage layer - the credentials will be encrypted when passed over the storage api. That way all storage plugins get it for 'free'.

Nick

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

Mike Blackstock

Jul 29, 2016, 2:32:51 PM7/29/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
thanks - above storage makes sense.  I'll look for changes in the source in this area. - Mike
--
Mike Blackstock
Chief Technical Officer