Raspberry Pi Sound Detection

Julian Knight

Apr 9, 2016, 6:00:19 PM4/9/16
to Node-RED
Hi all,

Is anyone doing sound detection on a Raspberry Pi and if so, how?

I'm going to be moving my home automation hub to a location where detecting certain types of noise would be interesting. Possibly as simple as a volume threshold, certainly detection of an alarm sound. But maybe even as complex as cat meows, cat-flap, footfalls or door movement.

So just wondering if anyone has got to grips with any of these. I've got some simple sound threshold detectors that I can use for simple things but I'm especially thinking of something a little more complex perhaps processing a microphone input.

Regards, Julian.

Tommy Newman

Nov 19, 2017, 4:32:51 PM11/19/17
to Node-RED
Hi Julian,

How did you get on with this? I've got the guide below to work with my Pi and sound sensor.

I have a home alarm system, but it doesn't alert me if the alarm goes off when I'm out.

The idea is to have the Pi running, and notify me in some way when it detects the noise of the house alarm.

Any idea or tips on how to do this?

Regards
Tommy

Garry Hayne

Nov 19, 2017, 5:29:34 PM11/19/17
to Node-RED
Try the Telegram node.

Julian Knight

Nov 19, 2017, 5:59:44 PM11/19/17
to Node-RED
Hi Tommy, thanks for responding. I actually have a sound sensor connected to an ESP8266 in the hallway that also has light, temperature and humidity sensors. It works OK though I've not really tuned it.

As for alerting. I agree with Garry, I've been using Telegram for quite a while now and it is really easy to create bot's that can both do secure alerting and take commands into Node-RED.

Tommy Newman

Nov 20, 2017, 2:13:05 AM11/20/17
to Node-RED
Hi Julian & Gary,

Thanks for the information on Node-RED and the telegram node. Do you have any pointers on how to get the bot working with a sound sensor?

Ideally I would like it to alert me if the sound is over a certain decibel. So if the house alarm was set off, I would receive a message on my phone letting me know sound has been detected.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Tommy

Leif Neland

Nov 20, 2017, 3:16:07 AM11/20/17
to Node-RED

On Monday, 20 November 2017 08:13:05 UTC+1, Tommy Newman wrote:
Hi Julian & Gary,

Ideally I would like it to alert me if the sound is over a certain decibel. So if the house alarm was set off, I would receive a message on my phone letting me know sound has been detected.

Either you are having a burglary or the kids are throwing a party.
Both require action ;-)

Julian Knight

Nov 20, 2017, 4:58:14 AM11/20/17
to Node-RED
I use a 1-wire sound sensor board on the ESP8266 so you should be able to use that directly on a Pi as well. The advantage is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the detection and you get a high (sound present) or low (not triggered) which is obviously very easy to process. This would certainly make it suitable for alarm detection, especially if you can position it close to the alarm sounder (otherwise you might get some false triggers).

1-wire sensors have a single data line plus ground and power & are available all over and cost very little.

To work with a bot, firstly you need the Telegram node (I don't recommend using the redbot library) and you will need to overcome the learning curve of setting up a basic bot. Not too hard. Once you have the basics working, you can wire in the output from the sound sensor to trigger an alert.

Garry Hayne

Nov 20, 2017, 5:41:39 AM11/20/17
to Node-RED
Tommy,
is there no way to get an output from the house alarm directly and use it to send a message?. All sorts of loud noises (thunder etc) will set off a sound sensor.

Tommy Newman

Nov 20, 2017, 8:13:35 AM11/20/17
to Node-RED
Thanks Julian and Gary. I will have a play around and let you know how I got on.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Eugene M.

Jun 6, 2018, 11:27:37 PM6/6/18
to Node-RED
Did anyone make something interesting like in original post?