Use with iSeries Access ODBC Driver

mbru...@manitoulintransport.com

Mar 31, 2016, 2:34:25 PM3/31/16
to node-ibm_db
Hi Bimal,

Thank you for approving my request to join this group.

As I said in the Google Form I filled out, we want to build a node.js application that can access DB2 data on our AS/400 Version 7 Release 1 Modification 0.

We already have iSeries Access ODBC Driver, managed by Microsoft ODBC Driver Manager on development environment (Windows 7 Pro), and unixODBC on our production environment (CentOS v6.7).

This driver works (on both environments) with the odbc module.

My question: Is it possible to use node-ibm_db with our already-licensed ODBC driver? Rather than "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI", for which we would (according to this documentation) need to purchase DB2 Connect server?

I am getting "Error: [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL1598N  An attempt to connect to the database server failed because of a licensing problem.  SQLSTATE=42968" when I try to connect, and I cannot seem to get this module to use our ODBC driver.

Also, is it possible that the documentation is incorrect, and we can get a license for just IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI?

Thank you so much!
- Matt

bimaljha

Mar 31, 2016, 2:36:51 PM3/31/16
to node-ibm_db

Hi Matt,

node-ibm_db works only with DB2 client drivers not with unixODBC driver. To use ibm_db against AS400 server you need to get db2connect license file just for IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI. It is client license file. Alternatively if AS400 server is enabled to accept connection from your particular client i.e. server side licensing is enabled, ibm_db can work. Please work with IBM support to get a license which allows connectivity from "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI" to AS400. node-ibm_db internally uses "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI" for connectivity.

Thanks and Regards,
Bimal Jha

mbru...@manitoulintransport.com

Apr 2, 2016, 7:43:57 AM4/2/16