NODDI Maps Look Noisy

Abdulmajeed Alotaibi

Oct 13, 2020, 6:41:56 AM10/13/20
to NODDI
Dear NODDI experts,

I acquired multi-shell diffusion data on a 3T (Philips ingenia) scanner for protocol optimisation. After running all the required preprocessing steps on FSL, the NODDI model for each dataset was fitted via NODDI toolbox.

The resultant NODDI maps look a bit noisy and pixel shaped to me, also some regions (circled areas) have grey & black pixels; especially, pixels which contain CSF.

I wonder:

Do these maps look normal?
Can you spot anything wrong with the maps?
Which one of the protocols provided an optimal quality?

Here is the technical details of the attached datasets (screen shots):

Dataset #1

50 directions

1-NODDI (ODI map-1000-2000 bvals)
2-NODDI (NDI map-1000-2000 bvals)
3-NODDI (fiso map-1000-2000 bvals)

Dataset #2

50 directions

1-NODDI (ODI-map 711-2850 bvals)
2-NODDI (NDI-map 711-2850 bvals)
3-NODDI (fiso-map 711-2850 bvals)

Dataset #3

50 directions

1-NODDI (ODI-map 711-2850 bvals) with larger voxel size
2-NODDI (NDI-map 711-2850 bvals) with larger voxel size
3-NODDI (fiso-map 711-2850 bvals) with larger voxel size

Thank you,
711-2850 bvals with larger voxels.pdf
711-2850 bvals.pdf
1000-2000 bvals.pdf