Nodal 2.0.3 MIDI Ports in Windows

Irfon-Kim Ahmad

Oct 24, 2020, 4:02:20 PM10/24/20
to nodal - generative music software
Hi, everyone! I have used Nodal for quite a while some time ago, but haven't used it recently. In the meantime, I also switched from MacOS to Windows. I've got my licensing up to date and have Nodal installed. However, it doesn't create the "Nodal Input" or "Nodal Output" MIDI ports at all.

It's not even a matter of not seeing them in other software; I don't even see them in Nodal itself. If I bring up the preferences dialogue box, there's nothing at all listed as an option for MIDI Input, and MIDI Thru only has the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth shown.

I have installed MIDI Yoke as suggested and listed in the manual, but this seems to be an issue that occurs even before we get to that part of the procedure, as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions? I'd really love to be able to use Nodal in conjunction with something other than the built-in Windows softsynth, obviously.

Irfon-Kim Ahmad

Oct 24, 2020, 6:00:32 PM10/24/20
to no...@googlegroups.com

Okay, I managed to resolve the problem on my own, with some time. The basic method is to just ignore the manual completely, as it's wrong.

The "Nodal MIDI" ports don't appear in Windows at all. If you want to use it with other software, you need to create virtual MIDI ports of your own. It hints at this but explains it completely incorrectly. MIDI Yoke, which the manual recommends, also doesn't seem to work on Windows 10 64bit at all, as far as I can tell.

I downloaded a free tool called loopMIDI from here, and that did the trick:

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html