Can Nodal Control Nodal?

Keith Kotay

Nov 8, 2021, 9:25:56 PM11/8/21
to nodal - generative music software
Hello.  This is my first post to the group.  I've been playing with the demo version of Nodal 2 and I was wondering if it's possible for a subnetwork to control other subnetworks in the same network?  For example, there could be three independent subnetworks: A, B, and C.  Subnetwork A doesn't emit sounds (velocity 0 on the nodes), but can emit CC messages (or some other internal message type) which control networks B & C.  So B & C could be started, stopped, and reset to the voice triangle by messages from A.

I've looked through the manual and I don't think this is possible in the current version, but perhaps there is some workaround I don't know about?  In any case, I think this would be a way to insert some hierarchy into Nodal, which could make it easier to structure compositions.  Perhaps this is contrary to the generative design philosophy of Nodal, but it might be interesting and perhaps it isn't a terribly difficult feature to add...