Considering 3.1 release

Jon Skeet

Apr 15, 2022, 6:09:47 AM4/15/22
to Noda Time
Hi folks,

I'm considering trying to find the time to do a 3.1 release over the Easter weekend.

The changes from 3.0 can be seen in https://nodatime.org/unstable/api/changes.html - ignore the parts about IXmlSerializable.GetSchema being removed; they haven't been. (I need to have another look at the documentation generator to sort that out.)

I don't think of those changes are controversial in terms of the shape of the API, but if folks could have a look and object if necessary, that would be great.

Likewise if you have something that you really think should get into 3.1 that isn't already there, it would be good to know that too.

Jon

Sean Farrow

Apr 16, 2022, 2:38:04 AM4/16/22
to noda...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

For me, a 3.1 release makes sense (if only for the DateOnly/TimeOnly support).

What I’d really like to see (maybe not in a 3.1 release though), is more methods on period like DaysBetween for other units of time/dates.

Thanks,

Sean.

--

---

Jon Skeet

Apr 16, 2022, 4:53:19 AM4/16/22
to Noda Time
Excitingly, 3.1.0-rc.2 has just been pushed from a GitHub action. (No more building the releases on my laptop!)
It's worth noting that this only pushes to NuGet - it doesn't create zip files like we have for previous releases. As noted on issue 1682, the NuGet package itself is a zip file for the binaries, and GitHub creates zip files for the source code, so we really don't need to host anything else ourselves.

I'll wait until Monday to do the final release in case there are any concerns, but other than that I think we're ready to do the release. The post-release tasks are still more laborious than I'd like - I need to have another go at overhauling the documentation build when I get a chance; it'll need changes for the "no zip files" change anyway.

Jon

Jon Skeet

Apr 18, 2022, 3:54:56 AM4/18/22
to Noda Time
3.1.0 has now been released. I'm just finishing up the documentation changes - the web site will be broken until that's fixed, but it should be long now. (There are unfortunately parts of the release process which need the release to happen before the documentation is updated, but other parts of the web site that expect the documentation to be available for all releases...)

Jon