FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL for PAPERS for HiPer'99

Tor Johansen

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL for PAPERS

HiPer'99

High Performance Computing on Hewlett-Packard Systems
(Annual conference of the HP2EUG)

University of Tromsoe, Norway, June 27 - 30, 1999

http://www.hpc.uit.no/hiper99

Important dates

9 April 1999 - deadline for receipt of abstracts of contributed
papers,
23 April 1999 - notification of acceptance of papers, based on
the abstracts,
1 May 1999 - deadline for technical questions,
21 May 1999 - deadline for registration with reduced fee,
24 May 1999 - deadline for receipt of contributed papers in
final PostScript version,
11 June 1999 - deadline for virtual posters,
27-30 June 1999 - HiPer'99 Conference.

Location

HiPer'99 Conference will take place at the University of Tromsoe
in Tromsoe, Norway. See also http://www.uit.no

Main topics of the Conference

This Conference will be the annual meeting of the HP2EUG. It will be an
exchange forum for users, independent software vendors, applications
developers, research and industry scientists, HP products users and
developers as well as for decision makers.

We especially invite participants of the previous CONVEX Users'
Group Conferences.

HP2EUG (the Hewlett-Packard High Performance European Users' Group) is
the successor of the European Convex User Association and focuses on
high performance with HP equipment in technical, scientific and
commercial areas.

The following topics of high performance computing and high performance
storage on Hewlett-Packard platforms will be covered by the Conference

- experience with HP S-, X- and V-Class Servers,
- experience with Convex C-Series, plans for the migration,
- applications in science, engineering and industry,
- migration from SPP-UX to HP-UX,
- system management, resource management and batch systems,
- file servers, data management and hierarchical storage systems,
- visualization, graphics and multimedia,
- programming paradigms,
- tools and programming environments (especially for parallel programs),
- performance evaluation,
- new HP products for high performance computing.

The Conference will include

- tutorials (topics will be announced later),
- invited talks,
- contributed presentations from the HP users community,
- presentations of new HP products for high performance computing
and storage,
- technical answer and question sessions with HP,
- round table discussions,
- Conference dinner.

The up-to-date list of invited speakers is on the HiPer'99 www page.

Contributed papers

We invite participants with experiences in high performance computing
and/or storage on HP systems to submit papers for HiPer'99.

A reduction of the registration fee will be offered to one author of
each accepted contributed paper.

Contributed papers will be accepted for presentation at HiPer'99 on the
ground of one-page A4 abstracts (in the HiPer'99 format, in PostScript
or US-ASCII 80 col/66 lines) which should be emailed to the Committee
before April 9, 1999.

An abstract should contain short overview of the state-of-art, a
description of main ideas, results, conclusions and references.

Abstracts will be reviewed taking into account: relevance for HiPer'99,
significance of results, originality, technical accuracy and language of
the paper.
Authors will be notified of their acceptance by April 23, 1999.

Accepted papers, in their final form, 6 to 15 pages, in the HiPer'99
format and in PostScript, should be sent via email to the Local
Organizing Committee before May 24, 1999.

Papers will be included in the Conference program as oral or poster
presentations, and they will be printed in a Proceedings volume that
will be distributed to participants at the beginning of the Conference.

It will also be possible to present virtual posters which may accompany
an invited lecture, a contributed oral presentation as well as a
"classical" poster.
All participants who intend to present virtual posters are requested to
prepare posters at their own WWW sites and email http address, author(s)
name and title of a poster to the Organizing Committee not later than
June 11, 1999. Then, links will be done from the Conference WWW
page to virtual posters.

Formatting of abstracts and papers

1. Guidelines for LaTeX users (strongly recommended!):
- download 'hip99.cls' from the Conference www
- prepare paper with \documentclass{hip99}; please do
not redefine margin sizes, text width, etc.

2. Guidelines for non-LaTeX users:
- prepare paper according to guidelines on the Conference www

3. Papers will be printed as received, color figures are not acceptable.

How to submit an abstract or a paper

- convert your text to PostScript format, i.e. create file "paper.ps"
- compress file (please use only compress or gzip):
$ compress paper.ps
- uuencode compressed paper:
$ uuencode paper.ps.Z <last_name>.<first_name>.ps.Z > paper.uue
- send "paper.uue" via email:
$ mail -s "PAPER" hip...@cc.uit.no < paper.uue

If you have any difficulties to follow the suggested procedure, please
contact hip...@cc.uit.no for advice.

Registration Fee

The registration fee covers admission to tutorials, all Conference
sessions, one copy of the Conference Proceedings, lunches, and the
Conference dinner.

Regular fee:
- early registration (before May 21, 1999) - Not available yet.
- late registration (after May 21, 1999) - Not available yet.

Student fee:
- early registration (before May 21, 1999) - Not available yet.
- late registration (after May 21, 1999) - Not available yet.

Reduction of the fee
- for author presenting a contributed paper - Not available yet.

Please notice that the early registration fees apply to participants
who register and transfer their payments before May 21, 1999.

The registration form will be distributed in the second announcement.

Accommodation

There is one hotel, Havna Hotel, in a walking distance from the University
of Tromsoe where HiPer'99 will take place. The rest of the hotels are located
in the city center, 4 km away. There are 2-4 buses per hour from the city
center to the University.

The Local Organizing Committe have organized reduction of room
prices in the selected hotels for participants of HiPer'99.
Prices for single room (per one night) included breakfast are as follows:

Hotel Price(weekend) Time of the year # of rooms

Rainbow Polar Hotel 625(530) 26.06.99-27.06.99 50 rooms
phone: +4777686480 27.06.99-30.06.99 50 rooms
fax : +4777689136 30.06.99-01.07.99 50 rooms

Comfort Hotel Saga 775(575) 26.06.99-27.06.99 8 rooms
phone: +4777681180 27.06.99-30.06.99 30 rooms
fax : +4777682380 30.06.99-01.07.99 30 rooms

Radisson SAS Hptel 1050(875) 26.06.99-27.06.99 0 rooms
phone: +4777600000 27.06.99-30.06.99 100 rooms
fax : +4777656221 30.06.99-01.07.99 100 rooms

Comfort Home Hotel With 895(715) 26.06.99-27.06.99 15 rooms
phone: +4777687000 27.06.99-30.06.99 15 rooms
fax : +4777689616 30.06.99-01.07.99 0 rooms

Havna Hotel 625(540) 26.06.99-27.06.99 8 rooms
phone: +4777675999 27.06.99-30.06.99 8 rooms
fax : +4777675033 30.06.99-01.07.99 0 rooms

All prices in NOK.
Norwegian hotels are usually not using stars for classification.
For more detailed information about the various hotels, please
take a look at the conference www pages.

For more informations on Norway see

http://www.tourist.no/

For more informations on Tromsoe see

http://www.topofeurope.no/troms/troms-e.htm

http://www.irv.uit.no/law/tromso/nav/tromso.html
(unfortunately not quite up to date... :-( )

Organizing institutions

The Conference is organized jointly by

- The Computer Centre at the University of Tromsoe, Tromsoe, Norway
- HP2EUG - Hewlett-Packard High Performance European Users' Group

The Conference is sponsored by

- Hewlett-Packard

The Programme Committee

Frank Baetke Hewlett-Packard Europe, Germany
Peter Brezany University of Vienna, Austria
Marian Bubak AGH and ACC CYFRONET, Krakow, Poland
Ralf Diekmann Hilti Corp., Schaan, Liechtenstein
Roy Dragseth Computer Centre, University of Tromsoe, Norway
Odd Gropen Dean of Faculty of Science, University of Tromsoe, Norway
Jaap Kooman TU Delft, The Netherlands
Tore Larsen Department of Computer Science, University of Tromsoe, Norway
Zofia Mosurska ACC CYFRONET - KRAKOW, Poland
Jacek Moscinski Institute of Computer Science AGH, Krakow
Marian Noga ACC CYFRONET - KRAKOW, Poland
Daniela-Maria Pusinelli Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Martin Ringel Hewlett-Packard, Norway
Paco Romero HP/Convex, Richardson, USA
Juergen Schlanke Hewlett-Packard Europe, Germany
Markus Tacke University of Mainz, Germany
Alexandra Vassiliou-Waite National Centre for Scientific Research,
Attika, Greece

(this list is not complete yet)

Local Organizing Committee

Magnar Antonsen Director of Computer Centre, Computer Centre,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Roy Dragseth HPC Project co-worker, Computer Centre,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Svenn A. Hanssen HPC Program Manager, Computer Centre,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Ken-Arne Jensen System Administrator, Department of Computer Science,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Tor Johansen HPC Project Manager, Computer Centre,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Per Markussen Network Administrator, Computer Centre,
University of Tromsoe, Norway
Plus others.

Further Information

For more information about HiPer'99 please contact:

email: hip...@cc.uit.no
http://www.hpc.uit.no/hiper99

Tor Johansen
Computer Centre