Searching for Norwegian Relatives

Gene Nygaard

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
no.slekt.programmer wasn't the correct newsgroup in the first place,
and as far as I know it has been officially abandoned though it still
appears on my server. I'm crossposting to two other newsgroups.

On 13 Sep 2000 04:16:45 GMT, dodd...@aol.com (Doddabean) wrote:

>Grandfather/Olaf Amundsen
>Grandmother/Anna Halvorsen Amundsen. Both from Stavanger, Norway. They had 7
>children. Anna died at a very young age, but Olaf lived to be 93 years old.
>My father, Harry Martin Amundsen, was born in Thief River Falls, Minnesoda in
>1901. Olaf and Anna were on Holiday from Norway visiting relatives in USA when
>she delivered Harry. They went back to Norway after there 30 day vacation was
>up. They went and came by ship into New York Harbour. I am trying to find
>them through the net. It has become a stand still. Any help would be greatly
>appreciated. Joan Amundsen

First, I will assume that Stavanger is not necessarily the city, but
perhaps Stavanger Amt (the old name of what is now Rogaland fylke).

I have an Olaf Amundsen married to an Anna Halvorsen on the island of
Karmøy, across the Boknafjord from Stavanger city. They might
possibly be the ones you are looking for

Olaf Amundsen b. 1869 m. Anna Magdalena Halvorsdatter Åkra b. 1881.

If your Olaf died in 1962 or 1963 (you said age 93), that's a good
sign, but if it is within a few years don't dismiss this possibility
yet.

I information on the family of Anna's parents from the bygdebok for
Åkra, but I do not have the book. They were on Åkra bnr. 108, and I
have a note that Anna Magdalena is on Åkra andre oppsitjarar 131.
This is the town of Åkrahamn, near Haugesund. Maybe someone can
provide more information.

I think I only have her husband Olaf Amundsen from the LDS Ancestral
File http://www.familysearch.org so you might go there and find out
who the submitter is. Olaf and Anna Magdalena are listed with one
child there, "Living" with no further information. The submitter
should be able to tell you if that child matches up with one of them
that you have. Perhaps also where Olaf Amundsen came from. I note
that I have it with that spelling, though on this island the name
seems to be normally spelled Omund or Ommund rather than Amund.

I also recommend going to Slektsforum Karmøy at
http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no to ask if anyone there has any
additional information to help determine if this if the family you are
looking for.

Let me know if this does match up, and I can give you what information
I have on Anna Magdalena's ancestors.

Gene Nygaard
Crosby, North Dakota, USA