Dual CPU, but Redhat sees only one

Roar Pettersen

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
I've got a new Compaq Proliant dual PIII/600Mhz
server. The only problem is that Redhat 6.1's SMP kernel won't
see more than one of the cpus. I thought Redhat shipped their
product with smp-kernels so that it would recognize dual CPUs
"right out of the box"...?

What do I do?

--
Roar Pettersen

Blue System

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
recompile the kernel with SMP support

"Roar Pettersen" <ro...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
Blue System posed:

Hmm. I have plans to change mb's soon to a dual processor. I was
of the impression that (for Redhat) all that was necessary was to
d/l and run the appropriate kernel.*.smp.rpm.

--
Rinaldi]$
The time is overdue for a wall of separation between state and

Roar Pettersen

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
"Blue System" <blues...@home.com> writes:
> recompile the kernel with SMP support

I've tried compiling a new kernel with SMP-support...
Besides, the kernel that ships with RedHat IS smp.
I've also tried upgrading to 2.2.14smp-kernel (rpm from RedHat)

No matter, I still have only one cpu showing up when I do 'cat /proc/cpuinfo',
or using "top".

Any more suggestions?

--
Roar Pettersen

B e a n

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
I just installed the SMP kernel off the 6.1CD.... it works fine! ( ABit BP6
dual Celeries ).
It didn't install that kernel by default - I had to do it via the EXPERT
install route - bit scary - I ain't no expert! But there's only four
kernels there, and one is labelled SMP.

Barrie.

Roar Pettersen

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00

Mine is labelled SMP as well... And it came by using the default
installation routine (which sucks, btw... Very GUI but not very good)

...but it still doesn't see more than one CPU
--
Roar Pettersen

randalgnelson

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
I don't mean to sound consending but, when you do /proc/cpuinfo does it show a
cpu0 and a cpu1? Linux starts with 0 not 1. Try 'cat /proc/cpuinfo |less' and
see if it shows both cpu's.
RGN

Roar Pettersen

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
randalgnelson <randal...@home.com> writes:
> I don't mean to sound consending but, when you do /proc/cpuinfo does
> it show a cpu0 and a cpu1? Linux starts with 0 not 1.
> Try 'cat /proc/cpuinfo |less' and see if it shows both cpu's.

Even if you sound a bit consending it's ok, as long as you're trying
to help. :-)

Yes, I know that linux starts at 0, and no, it doesn't show more
than CPU 0. Here's my output from 'cat /proc/cpuinfo':

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 7
model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 598.439155
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips : 596.38

Hmm... it's quite annoying with problems like this one. This is our
first "big" linux-server, and I had hoped it would prove to everyone
in our company that Linux is up there among the big ones like hp-ux
and Solaris.
If I can't make it use both CPU-s though, I think the image
cracks a bit...

--
Roar Pettersen

randalgnelson

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
I may be missing part of this thread, but what version of RedHat are you using? Was this a new
install or are you trying to upgrade to a smp kernal on an existing installation?
RGN

Roar Pettersen

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
randalgnelson <randal...@home.com> writes:
> I may be missing part of this thread, but what version of RedHat are you using? Was this a new
> install or are you trying to upgrade to a smp kernal on an existing installation?

New installation of RedHat 6.1 on a Compaq Proliant with dual Pentium III/600 Mhz processors...

--
Roar Pettersen

Tor Slettnes

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

Roar> Mine is labelled SMP as well... And it came by using the
Roar> default installation routine (which sucks, btw... Very GUI
Roar> but not very good)

Roar> ...but it still doesn't see more than one CPU -- Roar
Roar> Pettersen

The next thing to check is that you are actually using the kernel you
_think_ you are using.

Do a "uname -a". You should see something like:

Linux valhalla 2.2.14 #1 SMP Sun Feb 13 16:20:03 PST 2000 i686 unknown
^^^

If you do not see this, check your "/etc/lilo.conf". If there is a
"default" line, check the corresponding "image" line. If there is no
"default" line, check the first "image" line. The "image" line should
point to the kernel in question. Then run "lilo" to activate any
changes you have made.

If still no go, check that any other operating system you have on the
machine (Windows?) sees both CPUs.

-tor

--
Får i ulveklær

Roar Pettersen

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Tor Slettnes <t...@slett.net> writes:
> Do a "uname -a". You should see something like:
>
> Linux valhalla 2.2.14 #1 SMP Sun Feb 13 16:20:03 PST 2000 i686 unknown
> ^^^

Yes, I AM using my smp kernel. In fact I have only 1 kernel on the
machine right now, the following:

Linux lnk-osl-27-1395 2.2.14-1.1.0smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 6 05:07:14 EST 2000 i686 unknown

> If still no go, check that any other operating system you have on the
> machine (Windows?) sees both CPUs.

Other operating systems? You must be joking, right?

--
Roar Pettersen

randalgnelson

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
This is strange, I have three dual cpu machines using RH 6.1 and I've not had a bit of problem. Do
you suppose that this may be something to do with the fact that you are using a Compac? All my
machines are home built, you could ask Compac if they know of any issues, kind of a long shot but
maybe worth a try. The reason I say this is I have an OLD Compac Prolinea, I use as a router and I
had to do quite a bit of fiddling to get Linux to install properly ( could be due to vintage---but?).

Tor Slettnes

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00

Tor> Linux valhalla 2.2.14 #1 SMP Sun Feb 13 16:20:03 PST 2000 i686 unknown

Roar> Yes, I AM using my smp kernel. In fact I have only 1 kernel
Roar> on the machine right now, the following:

Roar> Linux lnk-osl-27-1395 2.2.14-1.1.0smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 6 05:07:14 EST 2000 i686 unknown

The only possible reason now is that your second CPU is not working
(not plugged in properly?).

That's why it would be interesting to see what a possible second OS
came up with. No joke. What you can do, though, is to enter the BIOS
setup for your machine. Usually this will tell you how many CPUs you
have (for instance, a Phoenix BIOS will display two "CPU IDs").

Also, a wild thought: Perhaps your /proc filesystem is not mounted,
and what you see in there are actual disk files that somehow were
copied in there? Thus, the information would be static. "mount" will
tell you whether that's the case.

Frode Tenneboe

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Roar Pettersen <ro...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: I've got a new Compaq Proliant dual PIII/600Mhz
: server. The only problem is that Redhat 6.1's SMP kernel won't
: see more than one of the cpus. I thought Redhat shipped their

: product with smp-kernels so that it would recognize dual CPUs
: "right out of the box"...?

Perghaps someone here can help you:

http://www.nlug.org/smp/#compaq

-Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: f...@edh.ericsson.se ^
| Ericsson Radar AS. N-1788 Halden | |

Roar Pettersen

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Frode Tenneboe <f...@alne.edh.ericsson.se> writes:
> Roar Pettersen <ro...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> : I've got a new Compaq Proliant dual PIII/600Mhz
> : server. The only problem is that Redhat 6.1's SMP kernel won't
> : see more than one of the cpus. I thought Redhat shipped their
> : product with smp-kernels so that it would recognize dual CPUs
> : "right out of the box"...?
>
> Perghaps someone here can help you:
>
> http://www.nlug.org/smp/#compaq

Yes, I found the answer!

There was one small thing I had forgotten (or overlooked)
and that was setting the "Primary Operating System" in the
Compaq Smart-Start utility to "SCO Unix". I found this on the
page you mentioned, Frode, so thank you very much.

So, that's the solution folks: Don't forget to set up your server with
smart-start first, choosing SCO Unix as your primary operating system,
when using Compaq.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help

--
Roar Pettersen

Maurice Walton

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Roar Pettersen wrote:

Incredible!!!!!!!!!
Now I really know why I only sell Compaq and would never buy one!
Sorry about that cheap shot Roar Petersen. I have 5 smp machines lying
around here all built by me. Trust me I am no VA LINUX either. Grab
RedHat v6.1 and installed. Everything seen all systems go within 20
minutes.

Good Luck when your next trouble hits on your compaq.