Miscellaneous Bucket?

Daniel

Jun 12, 2009, 2:59:43 PM6/12/09
to No Thirst Software User Forum
Should I have a "Miscellaneous" bucket for all those expenses that I
didn't account for in my other buckets (one off expenses that I didn't
anticipate), or should I handle those another way?

Thanks.

Dan
Fontana, CA

Terry Norton

Jun 12, 2009, 3:16:54 PM6/12/09
to no-thirst...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 12, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Daniel wrote:

> Should I have a "Miscellaneous" bucket for all those expenses that I
> didn't account for in my other buckets (one off expenses that I didn't
> anticipate), or should I handle those another way?

You've got to put those transactions somewhere if they don't fit into
your planned buckets. Keeping track of all the misc. stuff is just as
important so you can see how much unplanned stuff happens.

I'd call it the "Darn It" bucket.

Terry Norton

I started off with nothing...I still have most of it left

Kevin Hoctor

Jun 12, 2009, 4:35:24 PM6/12/09
On Jun 12, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Should I have a "Miscellaneous" bucket for all those expenses that I
> didn't account for in my other buckets (one off expenses that I didn't
> anticipate), or should I handle those another way?

Dan,

You can but just make sure that you only use this for the truly odd-
ball transactions. If it grows too large, you'll want to break out
those transactions into stricter buckets.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com
No Thirst Software LLC
http://nothirst.com
http://kevinhoctor.blogspot.com

Lance

Jun 15, 2009, 10:28:09 PM6/15/09
to No Thirst Software User Forum

Lance

Jun 15, 2009, 10:30:31 PM6/15/09
On Jun 12, 1:35 pm, Kevin Hoctor <ke...@nothirst.com> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Daniel wrote:
>
> > Should I have a "Miscellaneous" bucket for all those expenses that I
> > didn't account for in my other buckets (one off expenses that I didn't
> > anticipate), or should I handle those another way?
>
> Dan,
>
> You can but just make sure that you only use this for the truly odd-
> ball transactions. If it grows too large, you'll want to break out
> those transactions into stricter buckets.

One thing I've found useful that Kevin pointed out a while back is
that you can merge buckets by option+dragging them. This came in
useful a few times when I had a bunch of odd ball buckets that I
decided weren't really relevant a few months later and I was able to
merge them into a more generic bucket without breaking anything.

-Lance