Using Paperless with MoneyWell

Druzyne

Jun 12, 2009, 12:04:03 PM6/12/09
to No Thirst Software User Forum
Hi all,

So while watching the snazzy video from MacUpdate, they touted
Paperless and MoneyWell as a tag-team of sorts. I'm very much
intrigued by the idea of having a digital, searchable, and organized
library of receipts and important documents (tax returns in
particular), but I'm curious if anyone has tried using MoneyWell and
Paperless (or NeatReceipts) together. Do they integrate nicely, or
essentially remain in silos, and require duplicate effort?

Also, if I scan receipts, should I still hold onto the originals – for
warranty issues, etc – or are copies acceptable in most situations?

Thanks!
//Drew

Terry Norton

Jun 12, 2009, 12:35:33 PM6/12/09
to no-thirst...@googlegroups.com

I got Paperless in a bundle. I didn't really see the need because I
already use another app scanning. How Paperless does make the receipt
searchable instead of just being an image file. But then again, I've
pretty much have all the info I need already in MoneyWell, so it's
just duplication of effort. Beside, with the image attached to the
MoneyWell transaction, I already can see it an retrieve in the Finder.

My opinion:

MoneyWell is an account app that can contain a copy of the receipt.

Paperless is a document scanning app that has a hint of accounting.

For warranties, original receipts are usually required. But when it
actually comes time for warranty work, sometimes they just ask you to
send them a copy anyway. To be safe, keep originals only for items
you really might want for warranties. Everything else I toss out.

Terry Norton

I started off with nothing...I still have most of it left

Terry Norton

Jun 12, 2009, 1:14:50 PM6/12/09
to no-thirst...@googlegroups.com
Good grief, my spelling and grammar were terrible in that last post.

hmurchison

Jun 16, 2009, 7:03:49 PM6/16/09
to No Thirst Software User Forum
Terry your post was A Ok.

I got Paperless in the last Mupromo deal as well but after reading
some recent reviews from documentsnap.com and
others regarding the NeatDesk for Mac product and NeatWorks from
Neatco I have to say that Paperless is going to have
to become quite amazing. I like that NeatWorks integrates with
Addressbook and that it does OCR but even better it allows you
to drag and drop text from an OCR'd image right into the info panel.
Plus it leverages Spotlight to search and you can create smart
folders
and what not.

I think the killer feature could be the way NeatWorks allows you to
export data as a Quicken file or CSV file. I figure if there's a
fairly easy way to
attribute this data to Monewell's buckets automagically, it could be
a nice one two punch.

As it stands now I'm probably going to buy a Scansnap and link it to
NeatWorks and hope that I can get some automation between NeatWorks
and a
future version of Moneywell.

Neatco was talking up an improved version that takes advantage of Snow
Leopard at Macworld San Fran this year so by end of summer I expect
they'll have
version 2.5 of NeatWorks with improved performance.